[SOLVED] What type of Uninterrupted Power Supply Should I get?

yossyween

Honorable
Jun 14, 2015
Hello everyone, I would like to know what kind of UPS should I get and what wattage or volts is recommended for my PC. Currently I am running a Ryzen 3 3100, ASRock b450m Steel legend, an Rx 5500 XT and a 650 watt PSU. I am planning on upgrading to a Ryzen 3 3300x soon and go for a RX 5700xt also in the future so basically I am trying to look for a future proof UPS that can withstand the power outages that we are currently experiencing here in my area and can still run for maybe at least 30 mins or to an hour after the power has gone out and also taking into consideration my future upgrade. Your knowledge and suggestions would greatly be appreciated here because I know nothing to none. Thanks so much in advance!

Solution
Hello everyone, I would like to know what kind of UPS should I get and what wattage or volts is recommended for my PC. Currently I am running a Ryzen 3 3100, ASRock b450m Steel legend, an Rx 5500 XT and a 650 watt PSU. I am planning on upgrading to a Ryzen 3 3300x soon and go for a RX 5700xt also in the future so basically I am trying to look for a future proof UPS that can withstand the power outages that we are currently experiencing here in my area and can still run for maybe at least 30 mins or to an hour after the power has gone out and also taking into consideration my future upgrade. Your knowledge and suggestions would greatly be appreciated here because I know nothing to none. Thanks so much in advance!
Long runtime...

yossyween

Honorable
Jun 14, 2015
Well maybe proceed with whatever I am doing maybe? I live in a place where electricity flactuautes every time. If it doesn't go out, it just flactuates and sometimes having 1 sec. Blackouts consecutively. That's why I was thinking of maybe continuing my work. It'd be a bummer if when I just turned off my pc then the lights come back again. Then i'd have to turn it on again. Anyway, maybe I am asking too much for 30 mins. I'll just stick to whatever suggestion you may offer
During that 30-60 minutes you want to operate using the UPS, what exactly would you like to be doing other than preparing for a safe shutdown?

Just for thought, a 1000VA Backup ups running at 600Watts will last 4 min, at 400Watts it will last 8 min.

If your looking for 30 min run time, APC Smart-UPS SRT 3000VA RM 120v, at a load of 600W will last 28min and cost $3000 Im looking at US voltages, so if you live somewhere else and use 220v or different things might change.

Reactions: yossyween

kanewolf

Titan
Long runtime, needs to be addressed with a local generator, not a UPS. For short fluctuations, I would recommend a "double conversion" UPS. This is a type of UPS that outputs a constant voltage because it ALWAYS converts from AC to DC and back to AC. That is the "double conversion" Sometimes the DC comes from the mains and sometimes from batteries. Look at the APC Smart-UPS ONLINE series for double conversion.

Reactions: yossyween
Solution

yossyween

Honorable
Jun 14, 2015
Just for thought, a 1000VA Backup ups running at 600Watts will last 4 min, at 400Watts it will last 8 min.

If your looking for 30 min run time, APC Smart-UPS SRT 3000VA RM 120v, at a load of 600W will last 28min and cost $3000 Im looking at US voltages, so if you live somewhere else and use 220v or different things might change.
I understand, So I have taken this into consideration and I guess I'll just do the right thing then (safely powering it off) instead of prolonged usage. Here are the two choices of UPS I have come up with. First is an APC easy UPs BVX1200Li-Ms230 AVR (650 watts) and the second one is a PROlink 1200Va. PRO1201SFT (720 watts). Please tell me which among these two you think I should get. I'd really appreciate it. And Also, I did a PSU calculator, the wattage I am at is at 500+ approximately.

Last edited:

yossyween

Honorable
Jun 14, 2015
During that 30-60 minutes you want to operate using the UPS, what exactly would you like to be doing other than preparing for a safe shutdown?
The reason I asked is that if you lose power more than likely your internet will be down as well so that is something to consider as well as the price of a generator.
I have taken everyone's advices here into account and I am very grateful. I think i'll just safely turn off everything instead of prolonging my usage. As for the internet, I think i'll just connect the modem to the UPS when I get one. Better to just turn off everything rather than damaging things. Thanks very much.

yossyween

Honorable
Jun 14, 2015
Long runtime, needs to be addressed with a local generator, not a UPS. For short fluctuations, I would recommend a "double conversion" UPS. This is a type of UPS that outputs a constant voltage because it ALWAYS converts from AC to DC and back to AC. That is the "double conversion" Sometimes the DC comes from the mains and sometimes from batteries. Look at the APC Smart-UPS ONLINE series for double conversion.
I understand. Thanks very much for the info! I'll also have a good look see at the UPS you are suggesting. As of now, I have two choices but don't know which one is better. First is an APC easy UPs BVX1200Li-Ms230 AVR (650 watts) and the second one is a PROlink 1200Va. PRO1201SFT (720 watts). I did a PSU calcation a while ago and I am at approximately 500+ watts. If you have any thoughts on which one I should choose or maybe you might suggest a better one. I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks a bunch.