[SOLVED] What uninterrupted power do I need?

neverknowu

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
Working away from home, the power is a little dodgy. My computer is on the same line as the kitchen, and when it comes to using the microwave, the power fluctuates. I was looking into getting a constant power, like the Cyberpower CP800AVR Desktop UPS. The price point is good, a little more than I wanted but I'll pay for it if it works. According to the PSU Calculator, the max load is 843 watts and this unit provides constant power for up to 450watts. I use my computer for VFX work, and it really doesn't use the full load at all most of the time, only for playback or rendering. Should this be a good purchase, or will this not work? I don't know how much my computer is using running at idle.

Asus WS-e x99 intel 5960x i7
2x 2080 ti's
64GB
EVGA Titanium 1000w

Solution
I use similar UPS (APC brand, also using 12V 9Ah battery inside). If it's only about power fluctuations and short (few seconds) power interruptions from wall, then this UPS will serve you well, I think.
But if power cuts take longer and PC is under full load, then you really should sit behind PC and close/save all your work as soon as possible, because after about 30 seconds (or even less), PC will just shut down.
450W sounds nice, but doesn't mean much and is kinda misleading. Let me explain in short:
Battery inside is 12V 9Ah... 12x9=108W.. that is, battery can deliver power of 108W during period of one hour. Or 216W for 30min's... or 432W for 15min's.. or theoretically 864W for 7min30sec. BUT: 864W / 12V=72A! -which battery can't...
I use similar UPS (APC brand, also using 12V 9Ah battery inside). If it's only about power fluctuations and short (few seconds) power interruptions from wall, then this UPS will serve you well, I think.
But if power cuts take longer and PC is under full load, then you really should sit behind PC and close/save all your work as soon as possible, because after about 30 seconds (or even less), PC will just shut down.
450W sounds nice, but doesn't mean much and is kinda misleading. Let me explain in short:
Battery inside is 12V 9Ah... 12x9=108W.. that is, battery can deliver power of 108W during period of one hour. Or 216W for 30min's... or 432W for 15min's.. or theoretically 864W for 7min30sec. BUT: 864W / 12V=72A! -which battery can't handle that long. PSU usually has protection against that high current (to prevent battery damage). And so, PSU will shut off way before 7minutes. And that is ideal situation, without taking PSU losses into account.
For solid, long term solution, I would recommend some PSU which has two batteries inside (2x 12V 7Ah, for example). Yes, is more expensive, I know.

Reactions: neverknowu
Solution

neverknowu

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
Battery inside is 12V 9Ah... 12x9=108W.. that is, battery can deliver power of 108W during period of one hour. Or 216W for 30min's... or 432W for 15min's.. or theoretically 864W for 7min30sec. BUT: 864W / 12V=72A! -which battery can't handle that long. PSU usually has protection against that high current (to prevent battery damage). And so, PSU will shut off way before 7minutes. And that is ideal situation, without taking PSU losses into account.
For solid, long term solution, I would recommend some PSU which has two batteries inside (2x 12V 7Ah, for example). Yes, is more expensive, I know.

Thanks for this information. It's for someone using the microwave for a few minutes when the PC is NOT under full load. It would be either idling, or I would adjust how I work for a minute or two. Electricity and power are all mysterious juju to me :) I just make the graphics.

TRENDING THREADS