Question What upgrade do i need?

bobslaede

Honorable
Jun 20, 2018
I just upgraded my 1080p projector to a 4k one and im converting my blu ray discs to .MKV files to put on my HTPC and then play through my old HTPC but the 4k movies stutter. My 1080p media plays fine like always so i am pretty sure im in need of an upgrade in my htpc.
My current build is this.

Intel I3-6300
8GB ram
and now to what i think is wrong. No graphics card. I use onboard HDMI output. My old graphics card broke down and just went with onboard since it seemed to work.
But isnt it a new GPU i need?

I just upgraded my 1080p projector to a 4k one and im converting my blu ray discs to .MKV files to put on my HTPC and then play through my old HTPC but the 4k movies stutter. My 1080p media plays fine like always so i am pretty sure im in need of an upgrade in my htpc.
My current build is this.

Intel I3-6300
8GB ram
and now to what i think is wrong. No graphics card. I use onboard HDMI output. My old graphics card broke down and just went with onboard since it seemed to work.
But isnt it a new GPU i need?
Look for a used 1050 ti

Reactions: Order 66

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
For just playback, GT1030 is fine. I used one for years along side an older i7-4770k running at only 2.4-3Ghz to keep the fan from revving up.

Currently running an Intel A380, so far so good. Only minor issues with audio not coming back every once in while after the TV has been off. Just have to restart the Intel HDMI Audio driver.