What upgrade to from windows xp

xXMuzzleBrakerXx

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
so i found this old laptop of mine running windows xp, and i decided i wanted to upgrade it to a more up-to-date OS, i was initially gonna get windows 10, but my requirements are JUST a tad bit more than the minimum requirements, and so i really cannot decide what OS i should upgrade to and will properly run, it says on a sticker in the laptop that it is Vista Capable, but i REALLY dont want vista,i mean, who does? Here's my specs: BTW, its not very specific

Intel Centrino Duo 1.50ghz processor
1gb ram
100gb storage
nvidia geforce go 7400
Windows xp(no shit)

Solution
Hi

With Windows and 1GB of RAM anything after XP will run very slowly especially starting up Windows

Some Linux versions will run OK with only 1 GB of RAM

Go to www.Crucial.com and see what the maximum ram is for your old laptop and what specification DDR or DDR2
If you can get 2GB, 3GB or 4 GB of ram at a reasonable price it is worth considering upgrading to Windows 7

If you go to later Windows 7 (upgrade is cheaper) go for 32 bit version you can then upgrate to W10 for free

regards
Mike Barnes

fudoka711

Distinguished
Honestly, I wouldn't really bother upgrading it at this point...but if you really wanted to, I would just go ahead and upgrade to either windows 7 or 10 (if it's free). The minimum requirements for windows vista through windows 10 are all the same (except for the touchscreen parts).

xXMuzzleBrakerXx

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015

but how do i know that my laptop wont just lag like crazy

Hi

With Windows and 1GB of RAM anything after XP will run very slowly especially starting up Windows

Some Linux versions will run OK with only 1 GB of RAM

Go to www.Crucial.com and see what the maximum ram is for your old laptop and what specification DDR or DDR2
If you can get 2GB, 3GB or 4 GB of ram at a reasonable price it is worth considering upgrading to Windows 7

If you go to later Windows 7 (upgrade is cheaper) go for 32 bit version you can then upgrate to W10 for free

regards
Mike Barnes

Solution