what upgrade will make the biggest improvement

Owxns1

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
I dont know what to upgrade to make my PC run faster. I dont know much about pc's so any help is appreciated the specs are

CPU: AMD fx 8320 8 core processor
GPU: AMD radeon R7 200 series
I dont know the brand but it has 12gb or ram a 2 terabyte hard drive and and the powersuply is a thermaltake 350 pure power power suply

my budget is around $300 thanks again for any help

Solution
Depends what you're trying to achieve, and what specifically you have.

R7 200 is a "series" of cards (like R7 250X). Programs typically only detect the series, so you may have to look at the labelling on the card specifically.

If you're looking at gaming, then a GPU upgrade would do you well (even the best R7 200 card isn't too, too great).....
While an 8320 isn't a perfect gaming CPU in 2018, it's still ok and would pair well enough with stronger GPUs.

If it's all 'round sluggishness, then you may want to consider adding an SSD.

As for the PSU, I'd be a little concerned. 350W is really low for a 125W TDP CPU..... and the 350w PurePower is pretty old, I believe.

I can't find too much info on it specifically - only really the...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Depends what you're trying to achieve, and what specifically you have.

R7 200 is a "series" of cards (like R7 250X). Programs typically only detect the series, so you may have to look at the labelling on the card specifically.

If you're looking at gaming, then a GPU upgrade would do you well (even the best R7 200 card isn't too, too great).....
While an 8320 isn't a perfect gaming CPU in 2018, it's still ok and would pair well enough with stronger GPUs.

If it's all 'round sluggishness, then you may want to consider adding an SSD.

As for the PSU, I'd be a little concerned. 350W is really low for a 125W TDP CPU..... and the 350w PurePower is pretty old, I believe.

I can't find too much info on it specifically - only really the fanless variant.
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153019

14A on the 12V rail = 168W.... when new.

The non-fanless, there's limited info on
https://www.cnet.com/products/thermaltake-purepower-350w-power-supply-350-watt/specs/
.... but appears to be either dual 12V rails with 10A each (which don't 'stack' necessarily), probably 16-18A combined = 192-216W

Solution