[SOLVED] What upgrades should I make?

Jun 5, 2020
I'm hoping the second half of 2020 will be better for me.

I'm planning to upgrade my rig and hopefully have a brand new PC by the end of the year.

These are my current specs:

OS - Windows 10 Home 64bit
CPU - Intel i3 6100 3.70 GHz
RAM - HyperX Fury 8gb DDR4 2400 (Will be upgrading to 16gb before the end of the month)
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H
GPU - Gigabyte NVIDIA 1050ti 4gb
HDD (x2) - WD blue 1TB (Will be adding a 500gb SSD shortly)
PSU - EVGA 500W 80 Plus

I will be upgrading my RAM and adding a SSD shortly but apart from that I'm not really sure what to upgrade everything else to. I want something that would allow me to do some heavy browsing, streaming and of course gaming, while not breaking the bank and being able to last me 3+ years. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate them.

Solution
I'm in Ireland and hoping to spend between 500-600 euro.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (€207.58 @ Custompc)
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (€140.44 @ Custompc)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€88.34 @ Custompc)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case (€89.85 @ Komplett)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Core GC 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (€87.85 @ Komplett)
Total: €614.06

Swap out the case for anything that suits your fancy or is cheaper.
Unless you plan on running a rtx 2080ti and a 3950x or multiple gpu's, no need to go...
I'm hoping the second half of 2020 will be better for me.

I'm planning to upgrade my rig and hopefully have a brand new PC by the end of the year.

These are my current specs:

OS - Windows 10 Home 64bit
CPU - Intel i3 6100 3.70 GHz
RAM - HyperX Fury 8gb DDR4 2400 (Will be upgrading to 16gb before the end of the month)
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H
GPU - Gigabyte NVIDIA 1050ti 4gb
HDD (x2) - WD blue 1TB (Will be adding a 500gb SSD shortly)
PSU - EVGA 500W 80 Plus

I will be upgrading my RAM and adding a SSD shortly but apart from that I'm not really sure what to upgrade everything else to. I want something that would allow me to do some heavy browsing, streaming and of course gaming, while not breaking the bank and being able to last me 3+ years. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate them.
theres not much room for improvement here,except the ram.You will need a whole new rig.Of course you can upgrade to something like a i7-6700k and like a more powerfull gpu like 1660ti/2060,but i would recommend switching to ryzen since it can achieve same performance,but with cheaper price.

Reactions: Slavskyyyy

Cere

Great
Jun 6, 2020
So, you have a couple options. You could replace the motherboard and CPU. In all honesty an i3 is to low for what you’re asking. At least an i5 would work better for heavy activities and gaming. If you want very high load, then i7 is the way to go.

with that said, if you want to save money you could use an amd CPU. Again go with 5 or 7 as they are best bet. AMD is A slight down step from Intel, but most don’t really notice the difference in gaming.

Also, your Hard Disk Drive (HDD) plays a role in gaming and everyday activities. You should have at least a Solid State Drive (SSD) and a regular HDD. Some run Windows off the HDD and games off SSD and works great. I personal prefer Windows on a SSD and games off HDD. Reason being is that you access more from Windows then you do the games. Anytime you open a game up, the games is talking to the drivers on your system. So the faster the system talks to Windows the faster you boot and games play will be. You’ll only notice this on booting Windows and starting games though. During gaming it becomes a minimal thing.

for gaming, every component actually makes a difference. Keyboards and mice talk at different speeds, monitors are all different, etc.

your best bet is to get a budget motherboard, a 5 or 7 processor, and the rest of your budget on the gpu. The gpu plays the biggest role in gaming.

Jun 5, 2020
theres not much room for improvement here,except the ram.You will need a whole new rig.Of course you can upgrade to something like a i7-6700k and like a more powerfull gpu like 1660ti/2060,but i would recommend switching to ryzen since it can achieve same performance,but with cheaper price.
I was never sold on AMD for some reason but it seems like nowadays more and more people are using it.

By the end of the year it will pretty much be a whole new rig. Apart from the SSD, HDD's, new RAM and the GPU everything else will be new. Any ideas which Ryzen processor (ideally under $350/€309) and motherboard I could go with?

I was never sold on AMD for some reason but it seems like nowadays more and more people are using it.

By the end of the year it will pretty much be a whole new rig. Apart from the SSD, HDD's, new RAM and the GPU everything else will be new. Any ideas which Ryzen processor (ideally under $350/€309) and motherboard I could go with?
definitely ryzen 5 3600 and msi b450 tomahawk max

3600:https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-...9-_-Product&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

TOMAHAWK MAX:https://www.newegg.com/msi-b450-tomahawk-max/p/N82E16813144267

Jun 5, 2020
So, you have a couple options. You could replace the motherboard and CPU. In all honesty an i3 is to low for what you’re asking. At least an i5 would work better for heavy activities and gaming. If you want very high load, then i7 is the way to go.

with that said, if you want to save money you could use an amd CPU. Again go with 5 or 7 as they are best bet. AMD is A slight down step from Intel, but most don’t really notice the difference in gaming.

Also, your Hard Disk Drive (HDD) plays a role in gaming and everyday activities. You should have at least a Solid State Drive (SSD) and a regular HDD. Some run Windows off the HDD and games off SSD and works great. I personal prefer Windows on a SSD and games off HDD. Reason being is that you access more from Windows then you do the games. Anytime you open a game up, the games is talking to the drivers on your system. So the faster the system talks to Windows the faster you boot and games play will be. You’ll only notice this on booting Windows and starting games though. During gaming it becomes a minimal thing.

for gaming, every component actually makes a difference. Keyboards and mice talk at different speeds, monitors are all different, etc.

your best bet is to get a budget motherboard, a 5 or 7 processor, and the rest of your budget on the gpu. The gpu plays the biggest role in gaming.
I will definitely move my OS to the SSD as soon as I get it. I don't really want to go super "budget" on the motherboard and CPU as I want something to last me some time while also giving me an opportunity to upgrade in the future without having to buy a new motherboard.

Jun 5, 2020
Thanks very much for the suggestion. I will do some more research into both before I settle. Does the motherboard give me some capacity to upgrade the CPU in the future without changing the motherboard or is that something you can't really tell with new CPU's being released regularly?

Reactions: Dj0gany
I will definitely move my OS to the SSD as soon as I get it. I don't really want to go super "budget" on the motherboard and CPU as I want something to last me some time while also giving me an opportunity to upgrade in the future without having to buy a new motherboard.
thats why i sent you ryzen 5 3600 and tomahawk max.Bassically you can put a 2080ti in tomahawk max and like a r7 3800x in it too.Also that hyperx ram isnt going ot cut it.Mostly because of the speed.It needs to be atleast 3000-3200-3600 for best performance.You can oftenly find the same stick,but with higher speed for like 10$-20$ more expensive.It will be a big difference from 2400mhz to 3200mhz.Lets say atleast 30fps more

Also i would go for like a gtx 1660Ti/1660 SUPER or amd equivalent which will be like a RX 590/RX 5500/RX 5500 XT.Also rx 5600 xt would be a amazing choice,also 2060/2060ti/2060 super will be a perfect gpu for this cpu without any bootlenecks.5600 XT is similar to 2060.RX 5700 XT is similar to the Ti/SUPER versions,also maybe it would be similar to 2070 (idk about that one).

Jun 5, 2020
thats why i sent you ryzen 5 3600 and tomahawk max.Bassically you can put a 2080ti in tomahawk max and like a r7 3800x in it too.Also that hyperx ram isnt going ot cut it.Mostly because of the speed.It needs to be atleast 3000-3200-3600 for best performance.You can oftenly find the same stick,but with higher speed for like 10$-20$ more expensive.It will be a big difference from 2400mhz to 3200mhz.Lets say atleast 30fps more
Well I just found the 3200 version of the RAM for cheaper than the 2400 :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Dj0gany
Jun 5, 2020
Also i will go for like a gtx 1660Ti/1660 SUPER or amd equivalent which will be like a RX 590/RX 5500/RX 5500 XT.Also rx 5600 xt would be a amazing choice,also 2060/2060ti/2060 super will be a perfect gpu for this cpu without any bootlenecks
I suppose it doesn't matter too much if the GPU is gtx or RX?

Cere

Great
Jun 6, 2020
I would stay away from the 16 series. If you’re looking to save and not spend on a 20 series, go with a 10 series.

also I forgot to mention that you should replace the 500W power supply and put at least a 650-800W in. The 500 will limit what you can upgrade to. Many new things are taking more power consumption and a 500 would have an issue keeping up.

I would stay away from the 16 series. If you’re looking to save and not spend on a 20 series, go with a 10 series.

also I forgot to mention that you should replace the 500W power supply and put at least a 650-800W in. The 500 will limit what you can upgrade to. Many new things are taking more power consumption and a 500 would have an issue keeping up.
I totally forgot about the PSU,thanks for reminding us.Will a cx650 be good for him?

Jun 5, 2020

That's definitely high up on the priority list. It's the most important component.

Cere

Great
Jun 6, 2020
I'll probably take the safer option and go with a 750w. It doesn't break the bank but gives me the 100 extra to be safe.

That’s a better bet. You need extra room in a power supply for a few reasons...

1) power consumption. If you read each power supply they give you an ideal range for consumption and to keep it silent.

2) more room mean more possibilities for upgrades later