Hornstercorps

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
Hello all,
Down bellow is my actually gaming rig and my question is : What you will upgrade on this pc, to run new games smoothly on ultra? What part is worth upgrade for new games? Will my I7 6700k handle new RTX gpus? Or I need just upgrade CPU? I dont really know, so thank you for your answers, every point or upgrade advice is welcomed!

My Setup:
CPU: I7 6700K (4,2 GHz)
GPU: G1 Gaming gtx 1080
MB: Asus z170 hero alpha
RAM: 2x8 gb Corsair 16GB KIT DDR4 3000MHz CL15 Vengeance LPX
HDD1, HDD2 - Seagate barracuda 1tb + 3tb
SSD: adata su800 128 GB

Solution
Thank you very much, about cases I must think, I dont know yet. And for me is the RGB "Problem" okay, I dont care much about RGB, I know that looks great, but for me is most important performance :-D And with sata ssds I know, that will run okay, but with the nvme my MB wont maybe support the newest keys and nvmes, I read somewhere, that MB can choke NVME and in that case I will waste 50 bucks for nothing.
Thats on asus pages - "M.2 Socket 3 Type M PCIe Gen3.0 x4 mode SATA mode, keys type 2242/2260/2280/22110 "
If you don't care about RGB that's fine.

I'm fairly certain your board will do fine with an NVME ssd. The drives I suggested to you are all PCI-e 3.0 so they won't be bottlenecked in that sense, and NVME drives do use...
First question is what resolution do you play or plan to play at.
Your PC is pretty balanced.
Is overclocking an option? you have an overclocking chip running stock speeds.
For ultra you need more GPU power if you overclock the CPU.
SSDs are getting cheaper.
Pick up a nice 1 TB and load your games there It doesn't affect gaming much (Unless you are memory limited) but load in times are much quicker.
A few options.

Pick up a nice 1 TB and load your games there It doesn't affect gaming much (Unless you are memory limited) but load in times are much quicker.
A few options.
With 1TB ssds now at around $100 it's definitely a valid option here.

Reactions: Hornstercorps

Hornstercorps

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
A few options.
Now I'm playing in Fullhd resolution, but in near future I want to buy new 1440p :) Okay I will go for new ssd, do you recommend Sata or nvme ssd? With nvme i dont know, my mb support nvme just a few slow keys I think

Hornstercorps

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
Your 6700K is actually still competitive, especially if you can overclock it. Instead of upgrading CPU + Motherboard, you should instead invest in a better cooler.

Gamers Nexus recently revisited 6th gen cpus. Here's the video he made, with benchmarks:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCV9yyD8X6M
For which cooler I should go? Now I have nzxt kraken x31 and at 4.5 ghz is cpu really warm :D

Hornstercorps

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
Your 6700K is actually still competitive, especially if you can overclock it. Instead of upgrading CPU + Motherboard, you should instead invest in a better cooler.

Gamers Nexus recently revisited 6th gen cpus. Here's the video he made, with benchmarks:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCV9yyD8X6M

1-2 minute stress test at 4,5 GHz without voltage changes and these temps I am actually geting, so thats the problem. And I have no Idea if the kraken X31 is not powerful or which cooler do I need.
View: https://imgur.com/a/CyIvBvy

Now I'm playing in Fullhd resolution, but in near future I want to buy new 1440p :) Okay I will go for new ssd, do you recommend Sata or nvme ssd? With nvme i dont know, my mb support nvme just a few slow keys I think
For just gaming, SATA is enough, but nvme doesn't cost much more. an HP ex920 1tb costs around $115, I'd recommend that.

For which cooler I should go? Now I have nzxt kraken x31 and at 4.5 ghz is cpu really warm :D
1-2 minute stress test at 4,5 GHz without voltage changes and these temps I am actually geting, so thats the problem. And I have no Idea if the kraken X31 is not powerful or which cooler do I need.
View: https://imgur.com/a/CyIvBvy
An X31 doesn't do much better than many air coolers. What is your case? Assuming you can fit it, I'd say get a 280mm AIO, like an X62 or Corsair H115i. Perhaps a 360mm if you're willing to spend that much and if it fits in your case.

Hornstercorps

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
For just gaming, SATA is enough, but nvme doesn't cost much more. an HP ex920 1tb costs around $115, I'd recommend that.

An X31 doesn't do much better than many air coolers. What is your case? Assuming you can fit it, I'd say get a 280mm AIO, like an X62 or Corsair H115i. Perhaps a 360mm if you're willing to spend that much and if it fits in your case.
I have Nzxt s340, but I am in to buy a new case, If you know some aifrlow beast?

I have Nzxt s340, but I am in to buy a new case, If you know some aifrlow beast?
S340 is certainly pretty choked off as a case.

For around the same price point you can get the Fractal Design Meshify C, or the Phanteks P400A. Both are mesh fronted, so they have good airflow, but the Meshify C has a different style and has, from what I can tell, better build quality. If you go with the P400A which has RGB fans in the front, you may want to use a 360mm AIO because of how the fans are laid out just because of how it looks. My recommendation is the Meshify C, but you can take your pick.

Keep in mind not all mesh fronted cases are equal. Some have more metal than holes, and some have dense dust filters behind them.

Hornstercorps

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
S340 is certainly pretty choked off as a case.

For around the same price point you can get the Fractal Design Meshify C, or the Phanteks P400A. Both are mesh fronted, so they have good airflow, but the Meshify C has a different style and has, from what I can tell, better build quality. If you go with the P400A which has RGB fans in the front, you may want to use a 360mm AIO because of how the fans are laid out just because of how it looks. My recommendation is the Meshify C, but you can take your pick.

Keep in mind not all mesh fronted cases are equal. Some have more metal than holes, and some have dense dust filters behind them.

Okay I will definitely get one of these, the price is same, but from design site I like more Phanteks :) Then I need a cooler, Corsair or nzxt? And the last think is which ssd can you recommend? (Samsung? SATA x NVME? ) And thank you for all help, I will do that 100%!!

Okay I will definitely get one of these, the price is same, but from design site I like more Phanteks :) Then I need a cooler, Corsair or nzxt? And the last think is which ssd can you recommend? (Samsung? SATA x NVME? ) And thank you for all help, I will do that 100%!!
The case is mostly down to preference. Get whatever you want. :)

For coolers, go with whatever one is cheaper or you like the look of. They both use the same patented Asetek pump, so any difference in performance will really come down to the fans and radiator. I'm unsure of differences in performance of NZXT and Corsair fans, but I believe it shouldn't be too major.

If you like the look of the rgb version of the P400A you may want to get a 360mm radiator for to keep the nice asthetic.

One option is to keep the rgb fans in the front the same. Use the fans that come with the radiator as exhaust. I'm not sure about how good this option will be since I don't expect Phantek's stock fans to perform well on a radiator.

Another option is to use the radiator fans in the front and put the rgb stock fans in the back, or get an H150i pro RGB if you want to keep the rgb. This way the radiator has fans on it which are known good.

As for the SSD: SSDs in general are getting incredibly cheap. You can get a Samsung or Corsair 1TB SATA SSD for around $100 to $110, or you can get an HP ex920 or Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVME SSD for around $115. Both of these NVME options will have similar performance to Samsung 970 Evo drives which cost around $160 for 1TB.

Hornstercorps

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
Thank you very much, about cases I must think, I dont know yet. And for me is the RGB "Problem" okay, I dont care much about RGB, I know that looks great, but for me is most important performance :-D And with sata ssds I know, that will run okay, but with the nvme my MB wont maybe support the newest keys and nvmes, I read somewhere, that MB can choke NVME and in that case I will waste 50 bucks for nothing.
Thats on asus pages - "M.2 Socket 3 Type M PCIe Gen3.0 x4 mode SATA mode, keys type 2242/2260/2280/22110 "

If you don't care about RGB that's fine.

I'm fairly certain your board will do fine with an NVME ssd. The drives I suggested to you are all PCI-e 3.0 so they won't be bottlenecked in that sense, and NVME drives do use M key. Both of the drives I suggested are 2280 as well.

If you're really unsure, then you can get a SATA drive. The difference in load times will be at most a couple seconds.

Reactions: Hornstercorps
Solution