[SOLVED] What UPS power supply should I buy?

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Hey guys. I just experienced a brown out and I'm deciding to actually invest in a UPS. I do have a very good power supply/conditioner but I want more protection. I have a high end gaming PC

Rtx 2080 rog strix
I7 9700k
3 ssds
Asus rog strix z390
Season prime ultra 750w psu
Corsair h115i pro platinum aio
Alienware aw3418dw monitor
Corsair rgb mk2 keyboard
Astro a40 headset
Razor Ultimate mouse
Corsair 4x8 RAM
7 Noctua fans

My PC was off during the brownout...even though it can still potentially damage...It was off.

Anyway...I want a UPS. What's a really really good one? Budget is $400

By the way..this is the current one I'm using

https://www.amazon.ca/Furman-AC-215...an+ac+power+conditioner&qid=1586832356&sr=8-2

Is this good enough or do I need a UPS? Because it does say protects against voltage irregularities

Last edited:
So are you looking to protect your system from inrush and surge conditions from lightning strikes and brown outs, or are you looking to protect data from loss of power, because you might want to look at different devices depending on what it is exactly you are looking to protect against. While UPS systems DO offer SOME protection in the form of (Usually) MOVs, they are not primarily "protection" devices. There are some exceptions of course but those are primarily much higher end units that are not at all cheap.

If protection is mainly what you are looking for, then an industrial surge protector from somebody like APC, Tripp-Lite, Leviton, Eaton, General Electric (Industrial division, not consumer products), Polyphaser, Ditek, Siemens, ABB, Square D, Intermatic, Cutler-Hammer (Eaton), and Syscom, these are the brands you can trust to have high quality internal electronics if you MUST use a power strip. Do not however use a power strip thinking that it offers significant protection, because even the best of them does not, not really. Whole house protection is the only real protection from surges that occur as a result of brown outs or lightning strikes. If there is a direct strike to your house, chances are nothing is going to protect your home wiring or devices, especially if your house and panel are not fully and correctly earthed.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/grounding-yourself-the-proper-way-how.3239574/post-19918618

As for a UPS. Pretty much the same brands. APC (Has cheap and high end models), Tripp-Lite, Eaton, Leviton and some of the Cyberpower units. You really have to look at professional reviews to know anything about most of these units, especially whether they offer significant protection or not. Personally, I like Tripp-Lite and use them exclusively when possible for UPS devices.

Also, as mentioned, the type of sine wave used, pure or simulated, might definitely be a factor in choosing some units over others especially with a high end power supply like yours. Previous investigations and conversations with the Seasonic rep, along with a few threads over on JonnyGuru, have led me to believe that these Seasonic Prime units are sensitive to, and do not like, simulated sine wave units and that it is highly recommended that only pure sine wave UPS units be used with these power supplies if you don't want them to simply shut down when they detect the simulated wave, making them useless.

Last edited:

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Im looking for something Dark that protects against surges, I.e brownouts and surges/outages.

I just always get sketched out that my powerful gear will get damaged and not run as good as it did. Is Furman (that power conditioner I have linked you) more than adequate?

https://www.amazon.ca/Furman-AC-215...ascsubtag=tomshardware-4538301497514243600-20

I also looked at home protection, but Ill be moving to a bigger home in a couple years, so theres no point. In the meantime, I need a device that protects me well (even though a lightning strike on my house would end whatever I got....I'll have to take that chance since I can't surge protect my entire house yet) I was looking at a cyberpower UPS https://www.amazon.ca/CyberPower-CP...IcA&hsa_cr_id=5350749590901&ref_=sb_s_sparkle

Maybe you have something in mind thats not even a UPS.....let me know.

again, I just need peace of mind that the high end equipment I have will be okay. You gave me a good PC build and it runs like butter.....I'm also using that Furman power conditioner (I think it has a built in surge and spike protecter) that you did recommend me using for that build. I'm sorry if I sound paranoid, Just kinda want my PC to be good and last you know? Kinda happy that my pc was off tho. I saw no dimming of lights when it happened.......everything just turned off, then back on in 2 sec. We did have high winds yesterday so that was the cause

Last edited:
I can't find ANY reviews of that Furman unit that aren't obviously done by a site that is partnered with Furman or is not pretty obviously shilling for them. Tripp Lite Isobar Ultra 4, 6 or 8 however, have MANY reviews and including the one here done at Tom's many years ago, probably puts it at the top of the list for under 100 dollar protection.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-P...pp-lite+surge+protector&qid=1586923578&sr=8-3

https://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/684-tripp-lite-isobar-tear-down.html

And for what it's worth, that unit offers a 50,000 insurance protection guarantee, but I'll tell you right now that every single company out there that guarantees their protection units ALSO includes fine print like "we reserve the right to refuse any claim for any reason" and believe me, they will if they can. Tripp Lite is pretty reputable, probably the MOST reputable and is used by the majority of professionals in many different industries including IT and a lot of hospitals, so of them all they are probably the best gamble in my opinion.

I've never had one fail to work so I've never had any reason to test the guarantee to be honest.

I can't find ANY reviews of that Furman unit that aren't obviously done by a site that is partnered with Furman or is not pretty obviously shilling for them. Tripp Lite Isobar Ultra 4, 6 or 8 however, have MANY reviews and including the one here done at Tom's many years ago, probably puts it at the top of the list for under 100 dollar protection.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Protector-Right-Angle-ISOBAR6ULTRA/dp/B0000513US/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Tripp-lite+surge+protector&qid=1586923578&sr=8-3

https://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/684-tripp-lite-isobar-tear-down.html

And for what it's worth, that unit offers a 50,000 insurance protection guarantee, but I'll tell you right now that every single company out there that guarantees their protection units ALSO includes fine print like "we reserve the right to refuse any claim for any reason" and believe me, they will if they can. Tripp Lite is pretty reputable, probably the MOST reputable and is used by the majority of professionals in many different industries including IT and a lot of hospitals, so of them all they are probably the best gamble in my opinion.

I've never had one fail to work so I've never had any reason to test the guarantee to be honest.
Is this solution technologically better than a double converting ups that usually incorporates surge protection circuitry in addition to its (galvanic in some cases) line dissection?

Yes, at least I'd definitely assume so considering that the Isobar Ultra units are repeatedly at the top of of the list of recommendations by those who do teardowns of them, such as the one I linked to, and the fact that most UPS units don't include anything more than the same type of MOVs used by very cheap power strip surge protectors such as those sold by Belkin and Monster.

He's not looking for battery backup, or line conditioning, he's looking for protection from surges and brown-outs. Protecting from those is NOT the primary function of ANY UPS system. It IS the primary function of the Tripp-Lite Isobar. The Isobar incorporates multiple protection schemes and is an industry standard. That being said, there MIGHT be better units out there but they will likely be a lot more expensive AND they might be one and done type devices.

I don't tear these down and review them. I am not an electrical engineer. I can only tell you that several of the top reviewers for both protection type devices AND power supplies, who I won't name because I've been asked to not do that, have recommended these to me as well so beyond my own research and experience I get the same recommendations from some of the top engineers that specifically do this for a living. For me, that's proof enough.

Last edited:
Yes, at least I'd definitely assume so considering that the Isobar Ultra units are repeatedly at the top of of the list of recommendations by those who do teardowns of them, such as the one I linked to, and the fact that most UPS units don't include anything more than the same type of MOVs used by very cheap power strip surge protectors such as those sold by Belkin and Monster.

He's not looking for battery backup, or line conditioning, he's looking for protection from surges and brown-outs. Protecting from those is NOT the primary function of ANY UPS system. It IS the primary function of the Tripp-Lite Isobar. The Isobar incorporates multiple protection schemes and is an industry standard. That being said, there MIGHT be better units out there but they will likely be a lot more expensive AND they might be one and one type devices.

I don't tear these down and review them. I am not an electrical engineer. I can only tell you that several of the top reviewers for both protection type devices AND power supplies, who I won't name because I've been asked to not do that, have recommended these to me as well so beyond my own research and experience I get the same recommendations from some of the top engineers that specifically do this for a living. For me, that's proof enough.
I do appreciate your frank answer.

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
But is there that a device that does line conditioning and is a surge protector? also what is pure sin wave and can that also be included with a surge protector and power conditioner? since you said my power supply does NEED that.

I'm not saying Dark that my house electricity is dirty, but it was built in the 60's. I dont' think the electrical wiring in my house is bad per say, but def not as good as most modern homes.

I want my PC to run butter smooth and at optimal performance......that's why the Furman was a good option, because it acts as both a power conditioner and protects against surges (however not undervoltage).

Lets say my electrical wiring in the house wasnt the best, is there any device that acts as a surge protector, a conditioner and has pure sin wave (unless pure sin wave is solely a UPS thing).

I do have tripp lite for my TV and other home pc.....but i dont game on that PC so i couldnt care less about how it runs performance wise (even tho it is a very good pc). Is it true that surge protectors hinder performance ? I know the xbox has to be directly plugged into a outlet because it has its own surge protector and also because it effects performance(I have tested that on two xbox's and it is true).

But yeah, like I have over stated...I need something that gives the best surge protection and also good performance (i.e clean power and MAYBE voltage regulation) so my PSU can perform optimally without any hindrances. I totally agree Trip lite is very good, but I need more.... IF you dont think i do...Ill get a trip lite.

Last edited:
Read the article I linked. It specifically says "there is no doubt the isobar has the beefiest filtering AND surge protection featured in these tear-downs so far."

If you want a UPS that is a superior product and includes some protection as well, I can make a recommendation on that as well but it is undoubtedly going to be a lot more expensive than just a protection device. There is no "pure sine wave" factor for just a protection device, that is a problem limited (wave type) just to UPS units and maybe some line conditioners but I think it's only UPS systems and ONLY when it switches to battery power.

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Thanks Dark. I know you did link me one, but do you have one you'd ultimately recommend ?(price is no issue).

Can you send me a link of which one I should buy.

Also thanks again for helping me......you have done this lad a favor. Upgrading the Dark machine this year when that 3080ti drops.

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
I thought you didn't recommend ups though for protection?

If these two are what you recommend Dark, I'll buy the first one. Also Will this be enough wattage for my gaming PC, monitor, and accessories as mentioned above?

Last edited:

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Thank you Dark. Just ordered it.

Ill message you later this year when im gonna upgrade the "Dark Breeze"

when i purchase the 3080ti im gonna switch to Nvme and Buy a new Ram kit....will need your recommendations but not yet as something my come out this year sometime.

Anyway stay safe during these times. Thanks again Dark.

TRENDING THREADS