What USB Splitter do I need to get?

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Ro77Clh
Hi. I'm doing a new build and I'll need a USB Splitter because the motherboard will have only one USB 2.0 header. I'm not sure what splitter I need to get though. Here's what my build will look like.

Case- CM H500M
Mobo- RoG Maximus X Code Z370
CPU- i7 8700K
Cooler - Corsair H115i Platinum
GPU- 2080 Strix
RAM- Corsair Vengeance 3200 16GB
PSU- Seasonic 1050W Gold

I need to plug the cooler pump into a USB header and also the case has an ARGB fan controller that you have to plug into an ARGB header and also have to plug it into a USB header. With the pump taking up the one available USB header there's nowhere to plug in the fan controller. The USB header I'm talking about has a cap around it and for some reason it isn't listed in the motherboards manual but that is where the pump is plugged in right now. Right next to that one is another 9pin thing that says USB 1314 but it doesn't have a cap around it and also the USB plug from the controller can't be plugged in there. I'll upload a few pics as well. Thanks

Not sure how to upload pics here so I'll post imgur link. https://imgur.com/a/Ro77Clh That's the USB 1314 and next to it is the pump plugged in. This is the fan controller USB that I need to plug in https://imgur.com/a/4CiYX41

I also have 4 USB 3.0 ports in the front ( I think they are 3.1 gen 1). I can only plug in two of them right now because there is only one 19 pin header on the mobo. Two of the ports working is plenty for me though.

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Hey thanks for the reply. I was told that the USB header can only support 2 USB at a time though. If this is true then I can only plug in the pump and and fan controller. I'm also not sure if I plugged the ARGB IN into the right place. It's the plug to the left of where the pump is plugged in and it says ADD HEADER there I believe. Do you have any idea what the USB 1314 is?

Dugimodo

Distinguished
According to your manual ADD header is for addressable RGB which are the digital ones where you can address each LED separately.
The other RGB headers are for standard Analog RGB. I'm not sure if ARGB stands for adressable or Analog lol, try it and see they are right next to each other anyway so easily moved. It does appear to have 4 wires which can't be connected to 3 pins though?

The hub Spinachy linked should work, you plug it in instead of the pump then plug the pump and fan controller into the hub. and it leaves you with an extra header and 2 normal usb 2 ports. The hub effectively adds 3 ports.

As for the header next to the USB, no Idea but the label beneath it is referring to the USB header not those pins. That's from looking at the layout in the manual. Maybe they are an unused header from a different version of the board.

Nice board but not much connectivity for USB.

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013

Hey thanks for the reply. Yea it's silly that they only put in one USB 9 pin. I looked at the Z390 Code board and it has 2 of them. Also, I wanted to put in an H115i cooler with the fans under the rad but it's looking like the heatsink on the mobo is too tall and will not allow me to mount the fans under the rad in the H500M case. I'll have to mount them above the rad. There is a glass panel on the top so I'll still be able to see some of that RBG goodness but only when I'm standing up? lol oh well.

As for the Hub. I will look into it. I think there is something like a 1 male to two female splitters or something also. I'd rather go for something smaller and cheaper than that hub if possible.