What USB WiFi Adapter should I use?

Sirprodigy

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
I currently have a USB WiFi adapter,although it is beginning to show its age.As I look on many websites for a new adapter,I can't find one that's reliable or strong.I'm not looking for a PCI adapter either.Any help?Cost doesn't matter.

Solution
Don't even both with the above recommendation. That used to be a favorite years ago but it is 2 full generation old. It does not even run 802.11n much less 802.11ac.

First thing is to match the adapter to your router. It does no good to buy 802.11ac or even 802.11n that runs say 450m if your router can also not provide that function.

From a price prospective you might as well get a dual band 802.11n device that claim 150m+150m or better. These tend to be low-mid priced devices and you will not save a lot by buying one with less abilities.

If you go 802.11ac you generally need a USB3 port on your machine. They do run fine on USB2 ports because few can run even close to the 450m a USB2 port can go but you will get warnings...
Don't even both with the above recommendation. That used to be a favorite years ago but it is 2 full generation old. It does not even run 802.11n much less 802.11ac.

First thing is to match the adapter to your router. It does no good to buy 802.11ac or even 802.11n that runs say 450m if your router can also not provide that function.

From a price prospective you might as well get a dual band 802.11n device that claim 150m+150m or better. These tend to be low-mid priced devices and you will not save a lot by buying one with less abilities.

If you go 802.11ac you generally need a USB3 port on your machine. They do run fine on USB2 ports because few can run even close to the 450m a USB2 port can go but you will get warnings when you plug it in.

Brand wise you will get similar results from most the larger names Asus netgear and even tplink have good results. What is important is the chips inside and there are only 2 or 3 manufactures everyone uses no matter the name on the outside. You do want to avoid those very tiny adapters they have very small antenna. A USB extension cable allows you to get the device away from the computer case which blocks signal. Some devices are sold with longer cable but any USB device can be places on a cheap cable so do not let that constrain your choices.

Solution