What version Cats require the "other" MS bs.

98SE, Radeon 7200 - VIVO.

I notice the latest Cats (4.x, maybe late 3.x's also) mention requiring
Windows Media Encoder installed. Something I've always had problems with.

I also have a problem that the later Cats seem to add an entry under the
Networks Properties for a "Microsoft TV/Video Connection" bound to TCP/IP
using IP 3.0.0.1. I believe this "feature" is what's causing my net
connection to basically fail it becomes so slow when I enable TV-In.

Question is simply what's the latest Cat version that doesn't add/require
this kind of extra bs? I'm getting ready to do another clean install so
wondering.

1) basically go back to what came with card on cd, last pre Cat versions but
are WHQL certified. I know some games have problems with this version
(example, Nascar Thunder 2003 sky tears).

2) Cat 3.1, separate packages, e.g. WDM, MMC, CP and driver all as separate
downloads.

3) Cat 3.7, separate packages, e.g. WDM, MMC, CP, MS-DOA/MDAC and driver all
as separate downloads

Note, I don't really care about the DVD player (PowerDVD is fine by me) as
all I want out of the MMC is TV-IN. I always have NOT installed any of the
rest of the package after the first time which taught me how File Player
takes over everything it can/wants..

Advice appreciated.

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 10:17:21 GMT, "pjp"
<pjp_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote:

>98SE, Radeon 7200 - VIVO.
>
>I notice the latest Cats (4.x, maybe late 3.x's also) mention requiring
>Windows Media Encoder installed. Something I've always had problems with.
>
>I also have a problem that the later Cats seem to add an entry under the
>Networks Properties for a "Microsoft TV/Video Connection" bound to TCP/IP
>using IP 3.0.0.1. I believe this "feature" is what's causing my net
>connection to basically fail it becomes so slow when I enable TV-In.
>
>Question is simply what's the latest Cat version that doesn't add/require
>this kind of extra bs? I'm getting ready to do another clean install so
>wondering.
>
>1) basically go back to what came with card on cd, last pre Cat versions but
>are WHQL certified. I know some games have problems with this version
>(example, Nascar Thunder 2003 sky tears).
>
>2) Cat 3.1, separate packages, e.g. WDM, MMC, CP and driver all as separate
>downloads.
>
>3) Cat 3.7, separate packages, e.g. WDM, MMC, CP, MS-DOA/MDAC and driver all
>as separate downloads
>
>Note, I don't really care about the DVD player (PowerDVD is fine by me) as
>all I want out of the MMC is TV-IN. I always have NOT installed any of the
>rest of the package after the first time which taught me how File Player
>takes over everything it can/wants..
>
>Advice appreciated.

No Catalyst version requires WM Encoder, pip. It's MMC 8.x that does.
If you don't want to install WM Encoder, you should go back to MMC
7.7.0.1.

AFAIK you should be able to use it with any Catalyst version,
certainly any Cat 3.x version - I'm using it with Cat 3.8 on a fairly
low spec PC at the moment, working excellently (including the DVD
player!) except CD player and Lunchpad, which I don't bother with.
Agreed, File player is an association hog (as is the CD player), but
it can be sent to obedience school...

Incidentally, that's also with W98SE and a Radeon 64 DDR VIVO.

patrickp

"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 10:17:21 GMT, "pjp"
> <pjp_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote:
>
> >98SE, Radeon 7200 - VIVO.
> >
> >I notice the latest Cats (4.x, maybe late 3.x's also) mention requiring
> >Windows Media Encoder installed. Something I've always had problems with.
> >
> >I also have a problem that the later Cats seem to add an entry under the
> >Networks Properties for a "Microsoft TV/Video Connection" bound to TCP/IP
> >using IP 3.0.0.1. I believe this "feature" is what's causing my net
> >connection to basically fail it becomes so slow when I enable TV-In.
> >
> >Question is simply what's the latest Cat version that doesn't add/require
> >this kind of extra bs? I'm getting ready to do another clean install so
> >wondering.
> >
> >1) basically go back to what came with card on cd, last pre Cat versions
but
> >are WHQL certified. I know some games have problems with this version
> >(example, Nascar Thunder 2003 sky tears).
> >
> >2) Cat 3.1, separate packages, e.g. WDM, MMC, CP and driver all as
separate
> >downloads.
> >
> >3) Cat 3.7, separate packages, e.g. WDM, MMC, CP, MS-DOA/MDAC and driver
all
> >as separate downloads
> >
> >Note, I don't really care about the DVD player (PowerDVD is fine by me)
as
> >all I want out of the MMC is TV-IN. I always have NOT installed any of
the
> >rest of the package after the first time which taught me how File Player
> >takes over everything it can/wants..
> >
> >Advice appreciated.
> >

> No Catalyst version requires WM Encoder, pip. It's MMC 8.x that does.
> If you don't want to install WM Encoder, you should go back to MMC
> 7.7.0.1.
>
> AFAIK you should be able to use it with any Catalyst version,
> certainly any Cat 3.x version - I'm using it with Cat 3.8 on a fairly
> low spec PC at the moment, working excellently (including the DVD
> player!) except CD player and Lunchpad, which I don't bother with.
> Agreed, File player is an association hog (as is the CD player), but
> it can be sent to obedience school...
>
> Incidentally, that's also with W98SE and a Radeon 64 DDR VIVO.
>

> patrickp
>
> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

K, thanks. You know anythiong about that Microsoft Video/TV Connection
non-sense?

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 18:30:25 GMT, "pjp"
<pjp_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote:

>"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 10:17:21 GMT, "pjp"
>> <pjp_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote:
>>
>> >98SE, Radeon 7200 - VIVO.
>> >
>> >I notice the latest Cats (4.x, maybe late 3.x's also) mention requiring
>> >Windows Media Encoder installed. Something I've always had problems with.
>> >
>> >I also have a problem that the later Cats seem to add an entry under the
>> >Networks Properties for a "Microsoft TV/Video Connection" bound to TCP/IP
>> >using IP 3.0.0.1. I believe this "feature" is what's causing my net
>> >connection to basically fail it becomes so slow when I enable TV-In.
>> >
>> >Question is simply what's the latest Cat version that doesn't add/require
>> >this kind of extra bs? I'm getting ready to do another clean install so
>> >wondering.
>> >
>> >1) basically go back to what came with card on cd, last pre Cat versions
>but
>> >are WHQL certified. I know some games have problems with this version
>> >(example, Nascar Thunder 2003 sky tears).
>> >
>> >2) Cat 3.1, separate packages, e.g. WDM, MMC, CP and driver all as
>separate
>> >downloads.
>> >
>> >3) Cat 3.7, separate packages, e.g. WDM, MMC, CP, MS-DOA/MDAC and driver
>all
>> >as separate downloads
>> >
>> >Note, I don't really care about the DVD player (PowerDVD is fine by me)
>as
>> >all I want out of the MMC is TV-IN. I always have NOT installed any of
>the
>> >rest of the package after the first time which taught me how File Player
>> >takes over everything it can/wants..
>> >
>> >Advice appreciated.
>> >

>> No Catalyst version requires WM Encoder, pip. It's MMC 8.x that does.
>> If you don't want to install WM Encoder, you should go back to MMC
>> 7.7.0.1.
>>
>> AFAIK you should be able to use it with any Catalyst version,
>> certainly any Cat 3.x version - I'm using it with Cat 3.8 on a fairly
>> low spec PC at the moment, working excellently (including the DVD
>> player!) except CD player and Lunchpad, which I don't bother with.
>> Agreed, File player is an association hog (as is the CD player), but
>> it can be sent to obedience school...
>>
>> Incidentally, that's also with W98SE and a Radeon 64 DDR VIVO.
>>

>> patrickp
>>
>> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
>
>K, thanks. You know anythiong about that Microsoft Video/TV Connection
>non-sense?

All the current Catalyst drivers seem to install it - some people here
appear to have problems with it, but I can't say I ever have.

> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 18:30:25 GMT, "pjp"
> <pjp_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote:
>

> >"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

TCP/IP

> >but

> >separate

> >all

> >as
> >the
Player

> >> No Catalyst version requires WM Encoder, pip. It's MMC 8.x that does.
> >> If you don't want to install WM Encoder, you should go back to MMC
> >> 7.7.0.1.
> >>
> >> AFAIK you should be able to use it with any Catalyst version,
> >> certainly any Cat 3.x version - I'm using it with Cat 3.8 on a fairly
> >> low spec PC at the moment, working excellently (including the DVD
> >> player!) except CD player and Lunchpad, which I don't bother with.
> >> Agreed, File player is an association hog (as is the CD player), but
> >> it can be sent to obedience school...
> >>
> >> Incidentally, that's also with W98SE and a Radeon 64 DDR VIVO.
> >>

> >> patrickp
> >>
> >> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
> >
> >K, thanks. You know anythiong about that Microsoft Video/TV Connection
> >non-sense?
> >

> All the current Catalyst drivers seem to install it - some people here
> appear to have problems with it, but I can't say I ever have.
>

> patrickp
>
> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

TV-In now kills my internet connection.

Is why I'll probably completely re-install as it seems to have hosed
"something" and no-one seems to know anything helpfull about it. Also why,
I'm not even thuinking Cat4.x's.

Geez, can't even find out what it's purpose is "supposed" to be but have a
feeling it's something to do with "streaming/sharing" the tv-in with other
pc's running ATI cards.

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 04:55:12 GMT, "pjp"
<pjp_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote:

>"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 18:30:25 GMT, "pjp"
>> <pjp_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote:

<snip>

>> All the current Catalyst drivers seem to install it - some people here
>> appear to have problems with it, but I can't say I ever have.
>>

>> patrickp
>>
>> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
>
>TV-In now kills my internet connection.
>
>Is why I'll probably completely re-install as it seems to have hosed
>"something" and no-one seems to know anything helpfull about it. Also why,
>I'm not even thuinking Cat4.x's.
>
>Geez, can't even find out what it's purpose is "supposed" to be but have a
>feeling it's something to do with "streaming/sharing" the tv-in with other
>pc's running ATI cards.

Hmm, why not remove it - either in Device Manager or Networking?
It'll just reinstall every time you install a new Catalyst driver, but
just remove it again.

I'd agree though, it seems a bit pointless as a device for all users -
more the sort of thing that only should be an option. But then, Ati
seem to have taken to including a lot of stuff in MMC, particularly,
that not everyone wants, but can't be deselected, as well.

I guess what this is all about is that, as M$ have demonstrated, more
bloat means you need more resources, so you have to upgrade your
system. Then you have to upgrade your software to do everything
that's on offer, and you get more bloat...

And, inevitably, manufacturers have realised they can all cooperate to
lock consumers into an ever-escalating spiral.

> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 04:55:12 GMT, "pjp"
> <pjp_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote:
>

> >"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 18:30:25 GMT, "pjp"
> >> <pjp_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote:
> >>
> <snip>
> >>
> >> All the current Catalyst drivers seem to install it - some people here
> >> appear to have problems with it, but I can't say I ever have.
> >>

> >> patrickp
> >>
> >> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
> >
> >TV-In now kills my internet connection.
> >
> >Is why I'll probably completely re-install as it seems to have hosed
> >"something" and no-one seems to know anything helpfull about it. Also
why,
> >I'm not even thuinking Cat4.x's.
> >
> >Geez, can't even find out what it's purpose is "supposed" to be but have
> >feeling it's something to do with "streaming/sharing" the tv-in with
other
> >pc's running ATI cards.
> >

> Hmm, why not remove it - either in Device Manager or Networking?
> It'll just reinstall every time you install a new Catalyst driver, but
> just remove it again.
>
> I'd agree though, it seems a bit pointless as a device for all users -
> more the sort of thing that only should be an option. But then, Ati
> seem to have taken to including a lot of stuff in MMC, particularly,
> that not everyone wants, but can't be deselected, as well.
>
> I guess what this is all about is that, as M$ have demonstrated, more
> bloat means you need more resources, so you have to upgrade your
> system. Then you have to upgrade your software to do everything
> that's on offer, and you get more bloat...
>
> And, inevitably, manufacturers have realised they can all cooperate to
> lock consumers into an ever-escalating spiral.
>

> patrickp
>
> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

Problem is deleting the service doesn't "fix" the problem that my Internet
connection basically goes dead when the TV-IN is enabled.