[SOLVED] What version of Windows 10 is NEEDED for the RTX 3070?

arithon

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I installed Windows 10, but never really updated it. Then I bought a 2080 Super and found out the hard way that Windows 10 1903 was required due to the implementation of ray tracing in that version specifically.

I very much dislike each new iteration of 10 and how Microsoft makes it steadily more difficult to keep settings without having them get deleted on me (by each progressive patch by MS).

I am now looking to buy a 3070 in the near future and want to know if 1903 would work fine with it, or if the new card will require a newer version or not. Does anyone know/can help me resolve this? Preferably before actually getting ahold of the card itself.

Thanks to anyone able to help out.

(If this belongs in the OS question and not the Graphics Card question section, I apologize. I wasn't sure, and guessed this one)

Solution
Updating windows atleast every major update is best practice for security and features, and windows does add lots of cool updates, like DXR which you had to download with 1903, and stuff like smart access memory for amd in the following weeks, and the more direct ssd-gpu talking that the ps5 and xbox series X are implementing, and will soon be available on PC.

So, yes, you will need to update to use all the features.
Updating windows atleast every major update is best practice for security and features, and windows does add lots of cool updates, like DXR which you had to download with 1903, and stuff like smart access memory for amd in the following weeks, and the more direct ssd-gpu talking that the ps5 and xbox series X are implementing, and will soon be available on PC.

So, yes, you will need to update to use all the features.

Solution