what video cards are compatable with an intel s5000xvn

rmx77

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
i happen to have an intel s5000xvn workstation motherboard and i have searched around for an answer myself and mostly what i get is people being told that any card will work one site a geforce forum site the person asking the question said the board is picky as to what video cards it will accept. the board is no longer supported under intel support they had since discontinued support for the the board around 2010 or 2011 or so. i am wondering what video cards this board will run. i know its a pci-e x16 slot but that doesn't mean that any card will slot in and work. would anyone know what video cards will work with this board and chipset if at all

rmx77

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008

i do have an 8800 gts 512 and all the computer will do is power on with that card but never post. what i am running right now is an old old bus powered ati radeon x600 256mb from around 2004/2005 pulled from a dell. i am not sure if there is a big difference in preformance or anything but is there a difference in bus powered cards as suppose to power supply powered cards. and what is the difference to a low end version of a card as suppose to a high end version. also how can u even tell what this board will or wont run

rmx77

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008

the board by itself uses 550watts minimum and i have a 750 watt power supply an evga eps12 volt one and it has a high amp on the 12v rail and all. but i feel that if i use a power supply powered video card it would eat up the rest of the 200 watts thats left but i am not sure this board would handle a power supply powered card

rmx77

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008

the board from the factory if it did have on board video it would have had an ati rage 128 chipset. but this one was a revision that didnt have on board video. what cards would u think i should run or would be able to run