Sep 18, 2022
my computer is getting old ,runs decent but struggles with editing 4k video .
that said what is a good pc desktop for 4k video editing ?

i do not game ,but not against buying a gaming pc if needed . i watch youtube videos and also edit and upload 4k videos to youtube . but my current system struggles with the editing .

AMD Athlon(tm) X4 860K Quad Core Processor 3.70 GHz 16gb ddr3 ram ,nvidia geforce gtx 660, 1tb ssd and a couple 1tb hhd not in use .600 watt power supply.
i can build or buy pre built . sometimes its cheaper to buy pre built .

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

i do not game ,but not against buying a gaming pc if needed . i watch youtube videos and also edit and upload 4k videos to youtube . but my current system struggles with the editing .

AMD Athlon(tm) X4 860K Quad Core Processor 3.70 GHz 16gb ddr3 ram ,nvidia geforce gtx 660, 1tb ssd and a couple 1tb hhd not in use .600 watt power supply.
Depends on where you can buy parts from and your budget.

Where you can buy parts from is about a must as they are several good parts that could be used but prices vary a lot depending on the country you live in.

EDIT does your editing programs use GPU acceleration?

To answer this you're going to have to do some analysis. It may depend on what video editing software you're using and which components are causing your struggles. You could open up the Task Manager Performance tab and use it to monitor your performance while you're struggling. How high is your percentage of CPU usage, memory usage and GPU usage? Whatever new hardware you buy should be based on which component is struggling the most now and needs replacement the most.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019

"build it, and they (stutter-free videos) will come" :D

As for cheaper, from what I have seen lately, some prebuilts are coming down a LITTLE bit in price, but not nearly enough when you consider that the most expensive part, the GPU's, have dropped considerably in the past few months (but still not enough IMHO).... I am still seeing desktop rigs with GTX 3060's being advertised for ~$1500 - $1800... nope, notta, no way, 'Jose !

And keep in mind that most prebuilts generally come with some bargain-basement parts like the PSU, fans, cabling and switches, parts that will ultimately fail prematurely and will probably take your cpu, gpu and mobo with them...

So ultimately, you will have to go & buy or build ANUTHA machine anyways, so just how much money did you really save ?

And finally, note that virtually ANY more recent/current machine will be a pretty significant upgrade over your current machine, so there's that, but you do need to answer the questions posed by dwd above first :D

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Without knowing specifics this is about the lowest I would go, no clue how much drive space you need or the looks of the case you would like.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor (£242.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B 39.44 CFM CPU Cooler (£63.65 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (£146.95 @ Box Limited)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£106.14 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB VENTUS 2X Video Card (£357.84 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x White (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£82.99 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £1000.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-18 23:42 BST+0100

Sep 18, 2022
Depends on where you can buy parts from and your budget.

Where you can buy parts from is about a must as they are several good parts that could be used but prices vary a lot depending on the country you live in.

EDIT does your editing programs use GPU acceleration?
you can enable acceleration . my system can run 2k video but it stutters badly trying to run 4k anything . maybe its my monitor? monitor is old 1080p lg .
maybe my video card?
whole system purchased in 2017
also have trouble watching anything on youtube at 60fps.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
you can enable acceleration . my system can run 2k video but it stutters badly trying to run 4k anything . maybe its my monitor? monitor is old 1080p lg .
maybe my video card?
whole system purchased in 2017
also have trouble watching anything on youtube at 60fps.
The processor was released in 2014 making it 8 years old.

If your editing 4K video I would use a 4K monitor.

For the memory with 16GB when you run out of that it starts running just from the drive making it very slow.

In general you just have a old PC not really made for 4K editing.

I would also consider using a Samsung SSD/M.2 for a scratch drive the size would depend on the file size your working with. Use the scratch drive when you have the completed product you could move it to a HDD for storage. When the scratch drive starts to get full just secure erase it.

EDIT everything I listed was based on UK prices it could change what is the best price to performance depending on where you live.

Sep 18, 2022
To answer this you're going to have to do some analysis. It may depend on what video editing software you're using and which components are causing your struggles. You could open up the Task Manager Performance tab and use it to monitor your performance while you're struggling. How high is your percentage of CPU usage, memory usage and GPU usage? Whatever new hardware you buy should be based on which component is struggling the most now and needs replacement the most.
tried this . its the cpu thats struggling . when watching 4k or higher videos and vidoes with 60fps the cpu usage is up in the high 80`s and can hit 90% usage . my gpu is only at 13% and my memory 32% so its really just the cpu struggling . but my board will not accept any current cpu .so a whole new system i guess is needed .

Reactions: dwd999