what videocard upgrades for Dimension 4100

I'd like to change a nVidia TNT2 card for something with 128-256mb
videomemory in order to run higher resolution and faster/better DirectX
performance

can someone tell what you bought and if you would buy same card today or
something new?

"susan bander" <sbander@cnn.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to change a nVidia TNT2 card for something with 128-256mb
> videomemory in order to run higher resolution and faster/better DirectX
> performance
>
> can someone tell what you bought and if you would buy same card today or
> something new?

I've used the GeForce4 Ti 4200 128mb card in that system. I think
(currently) placing a 256mb card in the system would be overkill unless you
plan on moving the card to a newer machine later.

I still use the GeForce4 currently in my homebuilt for gaming. Rock solid.
While I haven't looked, I'd think this card is available now for $100 or
less. You can spend lots more without much trouble.

Stew

It will work in the 4100. Don't expect much performance for games, but for
almost everything else it works OK.

Oh yeah - I have a few of the 5200's. I'm not disappointed, but I don't do
games.

> S.Lewis wrote
> > I've used the GeForce4 Ti 4200 128mb card in that system. I think
> > (currently) placing a 256mb card in the system would be overkill unless
> you
> > plan on moving the card to a newer machine later.
>
> how about this card for $60, would this work in a dimension 4100 ?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-170-027&depa=0

joe_tide wrote
> It will work in the 4100. Don't expect much performance for games, but for
> almost everything else it works OK.

appreciate the reply

would this card work in the dimension 4100 ? (am just checking that I don't
kill the powersupply)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-170-044&depa=0

> > how about this card for $60, would this work in a dimension 4100 ?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-170-027&depa=0

Hi I just have a few questions, I recently bought a Radeon 9250SE 128
MB video card, for my Dimension 4100 and it seems their was a voltage
problem, my AGP slot was putting out too much juice for the card to
handle, and when I tried to play games it would boot me back to the
desktop or lock up my system all together, I went through weeks of
tests to finally determin that the voltage issue was the problem, I'm
now back to my radeon 7500 64 mb video card, but am wondering if thier
are any 128mb video cards out thier that would work in my Dimension
4100 for games???

Also I'm just wondering if it's possible to upgrade the CPU in a
Dimension 4100 from 866mhz to something a little higher, mabey 1ghz
or above, if not is it possible to overclock it??????????

"Yammichi" <Yammichi3@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi I just have a few questions, I recently bought a Radeon 9250SE 128
> MB video card, for my Dimension 4100 and it seems their was a voltage
> problem, my AGP slot was putting out too much juice for the card to
> handle, and when I tried to play games it would boot me back to the
> desktop or lock up my system all together, I went through weeks of
> tests to finally determin that the voltage issue was the problem, I'm
> now back to my radeon 7500 64 mb video card, but am wondering if thier
> are any 128mb video cards out thier that would work in my Dimension
> 4100 for games???
>

> Also I'm just wondering if it's possible to upgrade the CPU in a
> Dimension 4100 from 866mhz to something a little higher, mabey 1ghz
> or above, if not is it possible to overclock it??????????

You can't overclock it, but PIIIs up to 1.4GHz/133FSB will work, but the
price/benefit ratio is very poor unless you can find something on
e-bay. Going from 866 to 1GHz is pointless. I see no difference in
performance between my 866, 933 and 1GHz machines. Obviously
benchmarks would show some , but practically speaking there is very little.
You would better off buying a new barebones sytem.

Your voltage issue is that the 4100 is 3.3V AGP 4. You need
a card compatible with that.