What virus protection should i use

troyevansnoah

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
Hi just got this new acer computer with built in window defender but would feel better with a second security system installed. What product should I trust to completely protect my computer? Price is not a problem. Willing to pay for the Best! Thank You for your answers.

Solution

Yes. I have a...

The best antivirus is a smart user. Windows Defender is pretty good on its own. As long as you don't go around installing pirated software and random executables that you find on the web you'll be just fine.

troyevansnoah

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014

Thanks for the input. Will keep this in mind.

The previous posters are partly correct. a smart user is the best defense, BUT there are some fantastic security tools that help a great deal. Unfortunately, windows defender is not one of them.

Real security doesn't start with anti-virus. You want to keep stuff off your system to begin with. To that end, intrusion control software is the best approach. The best in the business in my opinion is Outpost firewall, or Comodo. Both come as stand alone intrusion control/firewall or in full security suites with antivirus. But require a fair amount of user input, which is their strength and weakness. They are only as good as the user that controls them. If you know what you are doing, they are VERY effective.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes. I have a standalone firewall/AV box, currently running untangle. Very, very effective. But that type of solution is more than a lot of people might want to do.

Solution