What Voltage RAM??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148544

This one doesn't have the promo code but it's 1.5v and you wouldn't have to worry about the voltage. However if you want to go with the other one because of the promo code then in the bios you will have to make sure that the voltage is set to 1.35v and the bios should have done that for you because it reads the specs of the ram when it loads it.

Solution

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Thanks. Yeah, I was trying to use the promo code to get the price of the rest of the system down to where I could afford that board. If I choose a different board, will the above still hold true? And, Is there any reason that 1.35V RAM is not as good as 1.5V RAM? I don't overclock.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

Thank you both for your help. I noticed on the board's QVL it lists several types of memory ranging from 1.35V to 1.75V. I assumed that meant the 1.35V memory I wanted was probably OK, but I thought I better ask.

My only reason for that particular memory was price (w/promo) and the fact that it was low profile. I probably won't O/C my RAM, but I may try working with the processor. And I didn't want to be limited on my aftermarket cooler choices due to RAM height.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Followup:
After reading some of the reviews for that low-profile memory, I decided to go with inzone's suggestion instead. The low-pro stuff seemed to get good reviews in the past, but the later reviews were poor. I guess I won't have to worry about std height RAM being too tall for aftermarket coolers.

You do always want to consider what cooler your using and what ram so that there's no conflict with height. Low profile and regular heat spreaders are ok , it's when you get to those tall heat spreaders that you run into trouble. Depending on the cooler you can seat it differently or switch sides with the fan. Sometimes you have several options.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

Yep. And I still got a 10% promo on that RAM you suggested. So, better safe than sorry.

TRENDING THREADS