[SOLVED] What VSYNC option do I use?

lrot123

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019
Hello. I am playing fortnite and get around 60-120 FPS in fight and when not fighting get around 144 FPS (have it capped at this). I was wondering if I should be using VSYNC with triple buffering to increase FPS. I don’t get screen tears but I just want to get 144 FPS constant. If so, should I put it to VSYNC on, adaptive, adaptive (half refresh rate) or fast? Also should I have triple buffering on? Thanks

Solution
Vysnc doesn't increase fps. Vsync is used to remove tearing by syncing the game to the monitors refresh rate. Nothing but hardware upgrades or decreasing settings will increase your fps. If that's a 144hz monitor then you will just introduce stuttering with vsync when below 144 fps. If it's just a 60hz monitor then you will decrease it to 60fps max.
Vysnc doesn't increase fps. Vsync is used to remove tearing by syncing the game to the monitors refresh rate. Nothing but hardware upgrades or decreasing settings will increase your fps. If that's a 144hz monitor then you will just introduce stuttering with vsync when below 144 fps. If it's just a 60hz monitor then you will decrease it to 60fps max.

Solution

lrot123

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019

Ok thank you. What should I put my nvidia control panel settings at to maximize FPS? Also should I have triple buffering on?

lrot123

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019

CPU: FX 6300
GPU: PNY GTX 1060 3GB XLR8
Motherboard: GA-78LMT-USB3.0 R2
PSU: Either 450-500 watts.

I am pretty sure my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU, anyway to fix that without buying or replacing anything?

None of the settings in the control panel need to be changed to maximize fps. Triple buffering is for vysnc. I still don't know what hz your monitor is. If it's just 60hz, you don't want to change anything compared to your current settings. The only way to get the stable 144 fps you want is improving hardware performance.

lrot123

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019

It is a 144hz monitor. I was getting around the same FPS with an RX 560 and I just increased to an GTX 1060 and am still getting around the same FPS just a little bit higher. The GPU is only running at about 20-50% so is there a way to increase that? I only play forntite