Question What was the first video game you remember playing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first game was Missile Command on the TRS-80 CoCo. Then a few other cartridge games for it that are a lot less memorable. I had 3 or so.

Next was in the computer store that my dad was buying his 386... and that was Wolfenstine 3D. From there a lot of classic DOS games... and I haven't looked back since.

Reactions: Colif and DMAN999

Colif

Win 11 Master
My first game was Missile Command on the TRS-80 CoCo. Then a few other cartridge games for it that are a lot less memorable. I had 3 or so.

Next was in the computer store that my dad was buying his 386... and that was Wolfenstine 3D. From there a lot of classic DOS games... and I haven't looked back since.

We may have had Missile Command as well, its so long ago

The original Wolfenstien has no resemblance to both the 3d one that followed or the current one. I played that on Apple iie as well (fun fact, The Apple iie was the last good games machine Apple ever made and the last one I wanted to use)

Reactions: sward

Colif

Win 11 Master
no real awards, sorry... just like achievements in consoles now, you don't get anything to hold in your hands.

I don't have the ability make a Trophy for it either, or the money or time :)

I can't even draw so won't embarrass myself by trying to draw a trophy here

that and it would be a pointless comp, only some people can set covers on threads after all. Many of the threads with covers were actually set by me.

Reactions: sward
no real awards, sorry... just like achievements in consoles now, you don't get anything to hold in your hands.

I don't have the ability make a Trophy for it either, or the money or time :)

I can't even draw so won't embarrass myself by trying to draw a trophy here

that and it would be a pointless comp, only some people can set covers on threads after all. Many of the threads with covers were actually set by me.
Just give him a Nintendo Seal of Approval. I'm sure they would approve. They are well represented in the thread.

Aug 22, 2019
I'm an avid gamer, but I've been trying to think of the first games I remember playing and really loved. I remember sneaking into my cousins dad's study to boot up his mac to play Monkey Island, where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? And Myst (which I wasn't very good at). If you're a gamer, what do you remember playing and why?

18j3c02jvs111jpg.jpg
One and only Super Mario.

Sep 13, 2019
The first video game was Pong. I was hooked. later we got the TI 99/4A computer and played cartridge games. After that my mom brought home a BASIC programming cartridge.

I was hooked even more. I wanted to write video games that I saved up and got me a Commodore 64 computer.

Man, those were the days and I sold a game I wrote to Compute! magazine.

Reactions: DMAN999

sward

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 3, 2019
CSGO is still HUGE! I have friends who are pro tournament admins for that! You can make loads of money if you're good!!

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
One of the two first games that i can remember is the old Tanks. This one:

But i think also i remember one older, but was never able to find it again. Was a game that was played from a cassette tape. The casette player/recoder was somehow hooked up to a TV. There was a joystick, similar to a nes quickshot. and it was kind of a top-down scrolling arcade game. Very simple though. But at my age is was tons of fun.

Reactions: sward and DMAN999
I am 64 and been a die hard gamer since 1982 , I built a zx81 , my first spectrum game was the hobbit and my first 2 pc games were grim fandango , I still use it now and again for old times sake , and I managed to grab a copy of the thing as it was being pulled off the shelves for at that time being to gory.

In the early 80's their were lots of highs and lows , a high was Mathew smith writing jet set willy for every machine and at the age of 17 all them years ago became a millionaire , the low was a guy called Richard Sheppard who wrote a game called transalvania tower , it was aweful and the gaming community slated it so much that he went to a motorway bridge and hung himself.

Do any of you remember some games machines with msx format , because say a spectrum game would not run on Atari or vice versa , a group of companies made msx format and all games work on any brand of machine. They never caught on,

But look at us now ! windows is the modern msx ! regardless of the name on the machine everything is the same inside if you get where I am coming from.

Hi falcon I had a no name machine that looked like your video , the straight line was the same regardless of where you played squash tennis or pong , I only got to use it for about an hour before my dad saw it and he said BIG FAT NO ! , if you use that you will break the tv set ????

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.