Question What was the Intel G Series CPUs Originally Intended For...

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
More recently I took a look at one of my newer laptops which happened to have an Intel G Series (Ice Lake) CPU: i5 1035G1
Cores: 4
Base Clock: 1.2Ghz
Turbo Clock: 3.5Ghz
Max Thermal Operation: 90*C

However I ran it through a couple tests on basic games in which it really didn't perform well: (on the Intel UHD G1 card)
Rocket League: there was a clear 1 - 3 second delay on inputs and you had to cap it to 30fps to get stable frames, anything more and it'd stutter between 25fps - 40fps
Fortnite: averaged between 75fps - 100fps with occasional frames freezing up (even on 60fps)
Minecraft: performed ok maintained between 60fps - 100fps on low settings though
So clearly it wasn't designed for gaming but then again it could be for something else like Work, Etc... however Intel already had that covered by most of their i5 lineup, Intel Pentiums which are even cheaper and some higher level i3s (and for those willing to spend extra the Xeon lineup) whilst "gaming" CPUs easily have enough grunt to do pretty much anything a work based CPU can do.
Running pretty much any task instantly gets the CPU to 30% - 50% usage whilst in comparison (although this isn't the most "equal" comparison since im comparing a 30w i7 to a 15w i5) my i7 8750H would average between 10% - 30% usage for the same tasks.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The G refers to the integrated graphics used on their non-gaming CPUs. The number after refers to which one, from one to seven, with one being the least powerful. The 8750H should be a lot faster. As a G1, it only get Intel UHD graphics, not the better Iris Plus graphics found in the G7 and slightly cut down for the G4. It's a SOC meant for cheap laptops; there's a reason you see this a lot in laptops in the $400 range. It's a bad gaming CPU, though that's hardly the fault of the CPU since it's not designed to be a good one; you can't get mad at a cargo van for not being as fast as the sports car.