What was your first car and why?

1962 VW Beetle -- it was all I could afford. I painted it fire-engine red.

It would hit about 45mph, downhill .... with a tail wind. BUT ...

It had a windshield washer.

The washer was pressurized and functioned off a rubber hose which was attached to the spare tire in the front compartment. You could pump up the tire pressure and twist the washer nozzles 90 degrees to the right ...

and shoot two streams of water 25+ feet, soaking anything in the general vicinity.

[:crutchizm]

I remember those washers, had a '73 Karmann Ghia myself. Couldn't afford anything else, and wanted to roll around in style. I had the "freeway flyer" transmission that topped out at a whopping 75mph. Loved the fact that it was either have a clean windshield , or a spare tire with air in it..... decisions, decisions....

eleclerc

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Ford Focus 2008 SE, because best specs gaz/security
I like the stearing how it works.
one problem, take 3 dealers to find a little problem in the suspension.

1973 Ford Pinto Hatchback (in 1975) because even though I was paying for it, it was what my parents said I could buy. When I talked about Camero's, Nova's, Chevelle's, Charger's, Firebird's etc like all my friends had at the time, the answer was always quick and stern......"NO!"

waydiddy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
1st car was a '95 BMW 540i, hand-me-down from Pops

I was a spoiled rich kid earlier in my life, but once I was responsible for servicing and maintaining that thing, I grew up QUICK!

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
@waydiddy
That reminds me of when my friend wanted to buy a 1998 bmw 850ci which is a V12 for 10,000$ 2 years ago. I told him good luck maintaining that beast and the oil changes would be ridiculous. He was glad he didn't buy it because we checked and for a routine checkup it would cost about 4x the cost of a regular car.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
LOL why would anyone pay for an oil change all you do is jack up the car pull a plug or unscrew the plug and let it drain the plug it back up and put the new oil in

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Some vehicles do suck to service. My '08 dodge with the 6.7 cummins is a real pain in the ass. The fuel filter is in such a stupid spot. I still service it myself but I can see a lot of people just taking that one in to a shop. If I ever get some days off I need to mount that filter somewhere else.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
1973 Volkswagen Beetle it was inexpensive,simple,reliable,extreme lifetime,got great gas mileage and later on was very easy and inexpensive to repair by myself.Also had the 1600 cc engine so replacement parts were available many decades later.
Only thing I disliked was when the clutch failed (several occasions) you had to take the engine out since it used a transaxle.Nice feature was the air cooled (oil cooled) engine so no worries about having to put water or antifreeze in a radiator.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Taking the engine out of a beetle pretty easy and plus you can clean and detail the engine when it's out. I've owned 7 vws that were 1975 and older so I've pulled a few out and have always had a shop with a crane at my disposal which makes the job way easier. I still miss my '69 westie, I named him Basil. I rebuilt the engine in him. I went up to 2132cc with dual weber carbs. He had some pickup and I could even get over 80mph.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
i want a 95 cougar xr7 v8 ;) comfort style and speed and you still get over 25mpg my dad has one through a hyperchip on twinturbo and blastgates and you have gods sleeper

Rafael2012

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
My first car was a 2010 civic Honda, I got it from my parents and I had a great time driving it. Now I own a Nissan skyline and I think the skyline has some good performance than the Honda.

289fia_cobra

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
My first car that I actually spent money to buy: my brothers 65' Mustang in 1979. By the time I got it, it really needed a new radiator, all the paint was oxidized, there was a nice dent on the driver side door but I needed something to go to college in. Back then, the car was obsolete and nobody thought it was worth much due to the Oil Embargo by OPEC.

I got rid of it around 1984.

My first NEW car was a 1984 VW Rabbit GTI.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
'68 Ford LTD - was purchased by my parents

Man, I loved that car. 63k original miles, mint condition. Black vinyl hardtop, original paint and interior. Also had the 390. For a larger 4-door car it would scream. My girlfriend ended up plowing it into a parking garage pillar crushing the front right quater-panel. Back in '93 it was next to impossible to find parts like that. I ended up selling it for $1200.

The first new car I bought was a 1997 Pontiac Formula (with personalized plates A4mula!) Firehawk. Wish I still had that one too but traded it in on a '02 WS6.

TRENDING THREADS