Question What watt and brand power supply should I buy

mbootherstone83

Commendable
Jan 18, 2019
Hi,

I have got the ASRock B450 Steel Legend ATX with AMD Ryzen 5 2600 and ASUS Phoenix GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

What modular power supply and wattage is best can't have over 750w

Thank you

Last edited:
At the moment the Seasonic Focus Plus is going really cheap. I'd recommend the 550w version of this.
I don't think you should go below 500w, as anything less will limit system upgrades in the future. Good model PSUs include:
• Corsair CX/CXM - good budget ranges, nothing amazing, but won't blow up either.
• Corsair RMx/TXM - not sure about their differences, but these are the mid/high end Corsair ones.
• EVGA Supernova G1/G2/G3 - All good quality, high efficiency etc.
• SeaSonic S12II - old now but still going strong and frequently recommended.
• Seasonic Focus Plus Gold - high quality and regularly recommended in everything from low end to high end builds.
• Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum - Like the one above, but more efficient.
• Antec EarthWatts Gold Pro - based on the strong Seasonic platform.
There are likely many good ones I have forgotten.
And a few traps to not fall for:
• Corsair VS - like an upgraded day-to-day/office PSU, not good for much more.
• EVGA 80+ Bronze series - same as above.
• Seasonic S12III - would seem like a newer S12II at first glance, but not Seasonic made, and not good quality either.
Other really cheap ones that seem too good to be true when compared to my above 'good' list are also probably not too good either.

Reactions: sdedu77

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
I'll give my vote on Super Flower. If it sounds unfamiliar, it's the manufacturer behind the high quality EVGA SuperNova PSU's. I'm not sure about their global availability, but at least here in the north we've been able to buy them for ages. I currently have an 650W Super Flower Leadex lll, which was just over a 100€. On the contrary, a 650W EVGA SuperNova G3 is 116€ and it's based on an older Super Flower platform (Leadex ll). There are little differences here and there, but still in my eyes the Super Flower ones give more value for the buck. Only minus would be the weird looking boxes that they come in. For sure a G3 box would look nicer on ones table etc..... ;)

The EVGA branding seems to be more expensive with the 550W units.

(550W Super Flower Leadex lll 90,90€ & 550W EVGA SuperNova G3 114,90€)

Last edited:

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
I went with a 750W Corsair HX750 Platinum it's over kill for my pc but I know it's going to last for ages since the warranty is for 10 years 😃
Powers my I5 8600k and rtx 2070 super with plenty of power to spare

Aug 17, 2019
At the moment the Seasonic Focus Plus is going really cheap. I'd recommend the 550w version of this.
I don't think you should go below 500w, as anything less will limit system upgrades in the future. Good model PSUs include:
• Corsair CX/CXM - good budget ranges, nothing amazing, but won't blow up either.
• Corsair RMx/TXM - not sure about their differences, but these are the mid/high end Corsair ones.
• EVGA Supernova G1/G2/G3 - All good quality, high efficiency etc.
• SeaSonic S12II - old now but still going strong and frequently recommended.
• Seasonic Focus Plus Gold - high quality and regularly recommended in everything from low end to high end builds.
• Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum - Like the one above, but more efficient.
• Antec EarthWatts Gold Pro - based on the strong Seasonic platform.
There are likely many good ones I have forgotten.
And a few traps to not fall for:
• Corsair VS - like an upgraded day-to-day/office PSU, not good for much more.
• EVGA 80+ Bronze series - same as above.
• Seasonic S12III - would seem like a newer S12II at first glance, but not Seasonic made, and not good quality either.
Other really cheap ones that seem too good to be true when compared to my above 'good' list are also probably not too good either.

1. DO NOT recommend the CX and CXM together , as if they have the same quality! CX is LEAGUES better than the CXM in quality , half bridge LLC primary topology pushes out the outdated double forward topology , especially in voltage regulation on transient peaks for higher end GPUs.
  2. RMx is way better than TXm in quality. and txm can get sorta loud on high load...
  3. G1 is a group reg trash , G1+ has ACRF primary top which is outdated and lead to bad transients , G2 missing OTP and single rail , G3 also missing OTP and single rail , honestly just get an rmx , whisper m , straight power 11 , or formula gold over all those
  4. LOL , s12ii , piece of trash group reg , missing tons of protections , double forward primary topology and loud asf psu...
  5. https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...uldnt-buy-a-seasonic-focus-plus-goldplatinum/
  6. https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...uldnt-buy-a-seasonic-focus-plus-goldplatinum/
  7. https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...uldnt-buy-a-seasonic-focus-plus-goldplatinum/

8. Seasonic DESIGNED the s12iii , yes it is outsourced to RSY but so are a lot of their other models ... and its better than the s12ii , at least it has dual mag amp (= to indy reg) which far surpasses the voltage regulation of group reg... half bridge LLC>double forward , only thing is that they kinda cheaped out on the bridge rectifier and a lot of other stuff , and ppl reported coil whine while idle... oh yeah and it has the e same shitty 8pin ic that the s12ii has , so its missing a ton of protections

Reactions: sdedu77