what watt psu for dual athlon mp?

shmeggegie

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
this will probably seem like a stupid question, but what watt psu should I get for a dual athlon mp system? I thought at first that 350-400 W would be enough, but it occurs to me now that since I'm using 2 processors, I should probably get a higher Watt psu, shouldn't I? like a 550 Watt? any help would be appreciated.

<b>Studies have shown that most people prefer the taste of AMD to the taste of Intel</b>

Here's a quick list of the MPs with their <b>maximum</b> wattage consumption.

Athlon MP-1.0GHz.....46W
Athlon MP-1.2GHz.....55W
Athlon MP-1500+.....60W
Athlon MP-1600+.....63W
Athlon MP-1800+.....66W
Athlon MP-1900+.....66W
Athlon MP-2000+.....66W

Multiply by 2 if you use 2.
Add say 200W for everything else, and you get 290W - 330W. Also take into account that you don't want to max out your PSU, so divide the figures by 7 and multiply by 10, which equals 415W-470W.

On that basis, I'd look at an Enermax 431W supply or better.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

shmeggegie

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
sir, you rule. that was the best response I could have wished for. Thank you for the complete and informative and easy to understand answer to my question.

<b>Studies have shown that most people prefer the taste of AMD to the taste of Intel</b>

Ahh ha.

I was expecting a dressing down.

I suppose so. The PSU is as critical as the CPU or the gfx card, and I tend to nitpick a little when planning out that part.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>