Question What wattage power supply do I need?

Jan 7, 2020
Dear all,

I am building a PC and want to know what wattage power supply I need. I have used the online calculators but still want your input. Below are the components of my system:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB
GPU: MSI gaming x trio rtx 2080 super tri-frozr
Ram: Corsair vengeance pro rgb 4x8gb ddr4 3600
Operating drive: Samsung 970 plus m.2 ssd
Storage drive: WD 2tb 5400 rpm red
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Ace
Case: Corsair graphite 780t with 3 140m fans and integrated fan control system.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Matthew

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Dear all,

I am building a PC and want to know what wattage power supply I need. I have used the online calculators but still want your input. Below are the components of my system:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB
GPU: MSI gaming x trio rtx 2080 super tri-frozr
Ram: Corsair vengeance pro rgb 4x8gb ddr4 3600
Operating drive: Samsung 970 plus m.2 ssd
Storage drive: WD 2tb 5400 rpm red
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Ace
Case: Corsair graphite 780t with 3 140m fans and integrated fan control system.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Matthew
I suppose budget is not an issue, judging by your parts. Buy one of these:
Corsair RM850x
Seasonic Focus GX850W
EVGA SUPERNOVA 850 G3

Jan 7, 2020
Thank you all for the replies. What's the difference between gold, Platinum, and titanium? Is that just the efficiency of power usage? If so, is it worth buying a platinum or titanium over gold? Also would it be okay for me to just grab a 1000 watt?

Gold, titanium and platinum are just a rating of efficiency. There could be other differences between them for the quality of components or build quality but to know this you have to find good reviews where they test and tear down the psu. Yes you can use 1000w but there is no benefit in paying extra if it costs more, 850w is more than enough. Your system would run on a high quality 650w, the 750w recommendations already have a good comfortable headroom.

Reactions: Mcroid20
Jan 7, 2020
Gold, titanium and platinum are just a rating of efficiency. There could be other differences between them for the quality of components or build quality but to know this you have to find good reviews where they test and tear down the psu. Yes you can use 1000w but there is no benefit in paying extra if it costs more, 850w is more than enough. Your system would run on a high quality 650w, the 750w recommendations already have a good comfortable headroom.
Thanks man. What brand is the best?