Question What wattage should I get for overclocking this build?

tygzy

Prominent
Jul 20, 2022
I am upgrading my pc in the short future, and this being my first fully custom build I wanted to overclock my CPU, RAM and possibly GPU unless it is not recommended for somewhat beginners.

This will be my build:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: RTX 3080/3080ti ( not entirely sure which to get yet )
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB
MB: Asus Prime B550-PLUS AM4
And I will have several drives, 1 NVME, 1 SSD ( what I have planned for now I may get more), 2 HD.

So I want to know which PSU I should get to allow me to overclock at least the CPU and RAM to get the max performance, is 850w enough? Or should I get one with more?

I am upgrading my pc in the short future, and this being my first fully custom build I wanted to overclock my CPU, RAM and possibly GPU unless it is not recommended for somewhat beginners.

This will be my build:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: RTX 3080/3080ti ( not entirely sure which to get yet )
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB
MB: Asus Prime B550-PLUS AM4
And I will have several drives, 1 NVME, 1 SSD ( what I have planned for now I may get more), 2 HD.

So I want to know which PSU I should get to allow me to overclock at least the CPU and RAM to get the max performance, is 850w enough? Or should I get one with more?
Overclocking 5800x in classical way is practically useless, netting very little or at all while requiring very high voltages and with it highest end cooling with uncertain results due to "Silicone lottery". Best way is to optimize it properly. There are power limits built in so power usage can not go higher. RAM uses very little power even when overclocked so shouldn't even be factor in overclocking.
PSU wise it's more important to be as stable as possible.
You didn't mention CPU cooler, you'll need a high end in any case to stay under 90c where it will loose any boost, OC or not.

logainofhades

Titan
Agreed on overclocking the 5800x. Just enable PBO, and let it do its own thing. GPU overclocking doesn't bring any big gains, except in synthetic benchmarks. For gaming it's a waste of time as well.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $149.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-25 07:57 EDT-0400

Unless you really want Nvidia's features, I would save the money and go with a 6800xt.

1440p.png

Overclocking used to be a way to get something for nothing.
Not so today.
Parts are binned and the higher performing chips are used in faster models which sell for a higher price.
This applies to cpu, graphics cards and ram.
If you need more performance, buy the higher performing version.
You could get lucky and gain marginal performance, but you could also cause issues where they do not need to be.

Reactions: CountMike