[SOLVED] What wattage to choosel for this rig?

Feb 2, 2019
Mobo: Gigabyte z68mx-ud2h-b3
Cpu: i5 2500k
Gpu: Amd 6850 hd

Now, the calculators suggests me a 600w psu BUT when i first made this rig I put a Corsair tx650m with it and it went dead within a month. The service told me it was too little for the rig so I bought a cheap 800w one that worked fine for 6 years until last week.

So now I have to replace it and don't want to spend that much money. Should I trust the online calculators? The service guy lied to make me buy the 800w one?

Thanks!

Solution
What make and model was the "cheap" PSU?

If it lasted 6 years that is doing quite well.

Nothing wrong with having 800 watts either. May have initially cost more but worked out well for the long term.

Calculators are helpful and can serve as a general guide. Stay around the 800 watt range and look for as much quality as you can afford.

Read independent reviews, reviews by verified purchasers, visit manufacturer's websits: FAQs and Forums.

Try not to go "backwards" on the wattage.

Ralston18

Titan
What make and model was the "cheap" PSU?

If it lasted 6 years that is doing quite well.

Nothing wrong with having 800 watts either. May have initially cost more but worked out well for the long term.

Calculators are helpful and can serve as a general guide. Stay around the 800 watt range and look for as much quality as you can afford.

Read independent reviews, reviews by verified purchasers, visit manufacturer's websits: FAQs and Forums.

Try not to go "backwards" on the wattage.

Solution
Quality is very important with psu’s, you are lucky that cheap low quality unit didn’t fry your system when it died, that was a real risk. A high quality 500w is more than enough for your system. A good quality 500w is far better than a cheap 800w.