WHAT WE ALL BE WAITING FOR!!!TRUE COPPER!!!!!!

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
The following materials are commonly used for heatsinks:

* Aluminum. It has a thermal conductivity of 205W/mK, which is good (as a comparison: steel has about 50W/mK). The production of aluminum heatsinks is inexpensive; they can be made using extrusion Due to its softness, aluminum can also be milled quickly; die-casting and even cold forging are also possible (see part 2 of this guide for more information about production methods). Aluminum is also very light (thus, an aluminum heatsink will put less stress on its mounting when the unit is moved around).

* Copper's thermal conductivity is about twice as high as aluminum - almost 400W/mK. This makes it an excellent material for heatsinks; but its disadvantages include high weight, high price, and less choice as far as production methods are concerned. Copper heatsinks can be milled, die-cast, or made of copper plates bonded together; extrusion is not possible.

* To combine the advantages of aluminum and copper, heatsinks can be made of aluminum and copper bonded together. Here, the area in contact with the heat source is made of copper, which helps lead the heat away to the outer parts of the heatsink. The first heatsink for PC CPUs with an embedded copper piece was the Alpha P7125 (for first-generation Slot A Athlon CPUs). Keep in mind that a copper embedding is only useful if it is tightly bonded to the aluminum part for good thermal transfer. This is not always the case, especially not with inexpensive coolers. If the thermal transfer between the copper and the aluminum is poor, the copper embedding may do more harm than good.

* Silver has an even higher thermal conductivity than copper, but only by about 10%. This does not justify the much higher price for heatsink production - however, pulverized silver is a common ingredient in high-end thermal compounds.

For more on heat sinks check out this site. :D

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
3 kg....omg (hope ppls boards dont break)

It looks awesome though. almost can put it in a modern art museum (better than most other stuff :kaola:)

Too bad i might go H20 cooling :(

Commander_Keen

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
i think i was under the misconception that copper retains the heat and cant dissipate it as fast as AL that's why they are CU base with AL fins
anyone know what i am talking about and want to clarify?

also i envision horror stories of those snapping of mounts and busting vid cards or things of the like

@ silverion77 dont most people get upset they cant go h20 :p

lameness

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007

Copper has significantly better thermal conductivity the aluminium (about 30 - 40 % better)

The reason that they use the copper (a thin layer) at the base of cheap coolers is that its the best thing to take the heat from the cpu and conduct it to the fins. The only reason it isnt used anywhere else is cost.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008

Right on the money.

With the surface area of the fins and the copper itself, I can't wait to see some test results using this heatink!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
cammsa, if you are going to quote another site you need to use the giant quote button to set it apart. Otherwise THG can get in trouble. Sometimes the quote button isn't even enough, depending on what you are quoting.

I suggest that you edit your post by highlighting the quoted text and clicking on the quote button.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
That was shown at Computex08, but it was thought it would not be released because of the weight.

[ Hardware.Info ] - [Computex08] Thermalright launches new CPU coolers
The company also showed a version of its Ultra 120 eXtreme made entirely out of copper. Though this cooler would most likely have excellent performance, it will not be released because Thermalright reports the motherboard would crack under the heavy weight.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i like my side... =[

but yeah copper cant dissipate heat as fast, unless of course, it has an insane surface area!

i, myself, am waiting for the danamics lm10 liquid metal cpu cooler... its supposed to be godly against these air coolers, and rival the best watercoolers too... it was supposed to be release q3, but since they're getting so many requests from companies [hopefully one is newegg (^-^)b]
that they know they're gonna be in backorder, so they're upping the production...so q4 it is =[

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

I googled that cooler, and it sounds very interesting! I wonder how much it will cost....