[SOLVED] What will i have to do to fit a standard 1050 in this case?

Feb 27, 2019
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Elite-820...locphy=9016637&hvtargid=pla-379032856519&th=1
That is the pc i am buying. I have a pc with a full sized 1050 in it i would like to use but i dont exactly know how to do it.
Will this work? I dont know anything about these but i heard they work to keep it out of the case and work.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8EF5VJ0319&Description=pci-e riser cable&cm_re=pci-e_riser_cable--12-183-053--Product
Any help and input would be greatly appreciated!!

Solution

This is the mobo from the 8200 elite. The 2x pcie slots are #18 (pcie x16 truncated to x4) and #19 (pcie x16).

Here's the problems.

There's a cpu cooler right behind #18 (that's the white slot) so cards longer than the slot by any decent amount will hit the cpu cooler. It also only runs at x4, not the full x16.

The lower black slot #19 is full pcie x16. But this is a BTX standard mobo, not ATX, so on this board a standard ATX type gpu actually faces upwards, there's plenty of room as long as you aren't bothered by covering up the upper x16(x4) slot. And any gpu covering/frame cannot extend into the connector or cover it or it'll hit the upper white slot. However, the stock...
ONLY low profile single slot graphics cards will fit that machine. The only other way you could do it would be to purchase an external graphics card enclosure, and those are not particularly well designed products and are very quirky. Your best bet would be to sell what you have currently, and buy a low profile card, or buy some other system, or build your own. That way you don't have the same limitations on card height or width. There is no room inside that case for even using a vertical graphics card mount and you sure don't want to use the card outside the case just laying there. Bad idea.

Feb 27, 2019
ONLY low profile single slot graphics cards will fit that machine. The only other way you could do it would be to purchase an external graphics card enclosure, and those are not particularly well designed products and are very quirky. Your best bet would be to sell what you have currently, and buy a low profile card, or buy some other system, or build your own. That way you don't have the same limitations on card height or width. There is no room inside that case for even using a vertical graphics card mount and you sure don't want to use the card outside the case just laying there. Bad idea.
im not going to be moving the pc around or anything so i didnt know if there was any cons of having it out of the case.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

This is the mobo from the 8200 elite. The 2x pcie slots are #18 (pcie x16 truncated to x4) and #19 (pcie x16).

Here's the problems.

There's a cpu cooler right behind #18 (that's the white slot) so cards longer than the slot by any decent amount will hit the cpu cooler. It also only runs at x4, not the full x16.

The lower black slot #19 is full pcie x16. But this is a BTX standard mobo, not ATX, so on this board a standard ATX type gpu actually faces upwards, there's plenty of room as long as you aren't bothered by covering up the upper x16(x4) slot. And any gpu covering/frame cannot extend into the connector or cover it or it'll hit the upper white slot. However, the stock cpu cooler has a directed airflow surround that covers the entire back side of the mobo, so any gpu used must also be barely longer than the slot or it'll come into contact with the cooler housing.

This pc was primarily designed around business use using single slot nvidia Quattro gpus/amd firepro gpus, not as a home based gaming pc with good psu adaptability (standard ATX, this pc uses proprietary TFX) and motherboard real-estate for larger than single slot gpus.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 27, 2019

Here's the problems.

The lower black x16 slot will clear your average cpu cooler, no worries there, it's full x16, so that's good. Except that it's only 1 slot above the base of the case, so any gpu put there has to be low profile, single slot height or you'll be putting the fans physically touching the case bottom with almost Zero airflow intake. Physically it'll fit, and work, for all of a few minutes before burning up due to no cooling ability.
okay thanks everyone for the input i had no idea so i didnt wanna shell out the money if it wouldnt work. Ill just get a 1050ti mini. Thanks!!

Not "mini", low profile. The specs directly on the product page for that system specifically state it must be a low profile graphics card. Mini and low profile are entirely different.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02781693

A "mini" card is short, not long, but is just as tall as any other full size graphics card. A low profile card is only about half the height of standard cards, but is fairly long in some cases, however there should be plenty of room to use one in slot 19.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

This is the inside of the elite 8200 SFF. With the orientation of the mobo, looks like BTX to my eyes, which puts the gpu facing up, not down as in a standard ATX. Using the black pcie x16 (x16) slot should not be an issue for a double slot card as long as the shroud on the gpu will clear the upper white pcie x16 (x4) slot. My concern is the location of the cpu cooler and its covering air shroud will interfere with any gpu of any kind of length past the x16 slots.

It's a bad idea any way you look at it. It was not intended to be used for gaming hardware. Everything is proprietary and if you ever needed to replace anything, you won't be able to upgrade. You'll be stuck in place, buying replacement hardware from HP and that includes most probably the power supply and motherboard which are also likely proprietary. I'd avoid it. There are much better options out there.

Reactions: Karadjgne

TRENDING THREADS