What will the hidden recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

unure

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Evidently there is a hidden recovery partition on my MSI laptop which I assume will reinstall the original factory Vista OS back to new. Which I want to do because Im giving it to a friend. I just want to know if that is the best way to do it. I bought it new and they dont come with a recovery disc.

Solution
No; it's not a one time use. You can use it as many times as necessary.
But if the hard disk totally fails you won't have access to the hidden partition.
Which is why you want the DVD copy as well.

The "All data will be gone the but the OS" is less clear. Technically, it's still there.
A skilled person with the right software could recover much of what was left behind AFTER the OS re-install.

unure

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

So that Im clear. All data will be gone the but the OS will be restored to the way it was when new,,,correct?

This a "DUH" question but once I use it is it gone? A one time use?

EDIT: sorry for not thanking you both for your quick replies.

No; it's not a one time use. You can use it as many times as necessary.
But if the hard disk totally fails you won't have access to the hidden partition.
Which is why you want the DVD copy as well.

The "All data will be gone the but the OS" is less clear. Technically, it's still there.
A skilled person with the right software could recover much of what was left behind AFTER the OS re-install.

Solution

unure

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

I see so having a copy just in case other than on the HD would be like a external back up of JUST the partition. That said then do you suggest after making a copy of that partition then reformating the whole drive then reinstalling the partition to recover the OS? Shouldn't that delete all data making it safe.

Exactly that. You could also burn an .ISO image and store that on an external HDD if you already have one.

I'd suggest leaving the recovery partition just like it is now. That's your primary backup.
The DVD copy is just in case the whole disk fails.

CCleaner 3 can take care of securely erasing data still on the HDD even though it's been 'deleted'.
http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

ss080.jpg

Set the options to Wipe Free Space Drives and Wipe MFT Free Space

unure

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

Sorry one last question about this program. Once I reinstalled the OS & made a copy of the hidden partition....then DL this program to reinsure that JUST the data is unrecoverable from any "skilled" person but OS stays intact...correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.