[SOLVED] What would be a good budget motherboard for the ryzen 3 3200g?

Zachary A.

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
So I've been wandering around the internet searching for some budget am4 motherboards that support ryzen 3000 series and stumbled upon the a320m series. I heard that these are the cheapest am4 motherboards out there but lots of people I asked about said that you could add in 15$ for a better Mobo that is the b450m, which has quad channel ram and supports overclocking.

I took those 2 motherboards into consideration and searched up the internet about it and turns out the a320m has lots of variation, such as the a320m-hdv, s2h and pro.

My main question is that I am planning to get a Ryzen 3 3200G with 8gigs of 2666mhz ram, and looking for a cheap and reliable motherboard option under 80$ (I know, a miniscule of a budget I'd say as well.) That supports overclocking for the ram and the CPU itself. I heard that for ryzen apu rigs you don't really want to get 3000mhz Rams as you can manually overclock even a 2400mhz ram into a 3000. But that depends on the motherboard, so to say.

About the motherboard variations, do these a320m boards all support overclocking? I heard some do and some don't, and for the b450m how would they rival the a320m in terms of price-to-performance and worth overall? Thanks.

Solution
correction: quad channel is only available on few boards and CPU's.
the b450 support 4 RAM sticks in dual channel mode. not the same thing by a long shot.

"I heard that for ryzen apu rigs you don't really want to get 3000mhz Rams as you can manually overclock even a 2400mhz ram into a 3000. But that depends on the motherboard, so to say. " from 2400 to 3000 is a 25% increase, you cannot get 25% for free, 4-5% yeah 10 if your lucky, 25 no way.
you heard from a bad source. get the RAM in the speed you want it to run. it depends on the CPU too, the RAM controller is embedded into the CPU not the motherboard.

"About the motherboard variations, do these a320m boards all support overclocking? "
no the a320 boards MAY support overclocking...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
correction: quad channel is only available on few boards and CPU's.
the b450 support 4 RAM sticks in dual channel mode. not the same thing by a long shot.

"I heard that for ryzen apu rigs you don't really want to get 3000mhz Rams as you can manually overclock even a 2400mhz ram into a 3000. But that depends on the motherboard, so to say. " from 2400 to 3000 is a 25% increase, you cannot get 25% for free, 4-5% yeah 10 if your lucky, 25 no way.
you heard from a bad source. get the RAM in the speed you want it to run. it depends on the CPU too, the RAM controller is embedded into the CPU not the motherboard.

"About the motherboard variations, do these a320m boards all support overclocking? "
no the a320 boards MAY support overclocking of the RAM to achieve the RAM rated speed. eXpanded Memory Profiles XMP and OverClocking Profiles OCP as they are known. no other overclocking is available on the lowest end chipset AMD makes. not every 320 board will get a BIOS update that will make the 3 series work.

get a b450 board. more memory slots, overclocking of both the memory and the CPU, better support for the third generation ryzen CPU's.

I have an ASRock b450 Pro 4-f
my RAM is running at its rated 3000, the 1500X is running at 4.0Ghz on all cores.

Solution

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
A320 is pretty much dead/EOL and has the lowest quality boards. B450 is pretty much the minimum where you want to be. Also as above your source on that RAM isn't the greatest since 3200 is the new pricing sweet spot anyway. Better to spend an extra $5-10 and have real rated timings/frequency instead of having to fiddle with an overclock that may be unstable.