[SOLVED] What would be better to change?

Kristian77

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
I recently built a new compter but had kept the SSD and HDD from my old computer to keep files and save money.

The HDD(5 years) is starting to act a bit slower than normal and become undetectable sometimes when i start up.
The SSD has my windows OS and some main applications i use.

I wanna soon change my HDD before something happens where I lose documents.

I wanted to change my storage to NVMe since my new build can utilize that kinda drive.

My issue is should i keep my SSD for my windows and have the NVMe as my large storage?

or should I replace both SSD (250gb) and HDD (1TB) for the NVMe drive which I would have to buy an OS license?

Does having boot on SSD and NVMe just as main storage somehow effect each others performance?

Solution
The noticeable difference between NVMe and a SATA SSD isn't huge. The numbers are bigger on the NVMe drive, but in every day use you don't really notice. If you are moving a lot of files around or loading games into memory you'll notice some difference, but for load times it is from fractions of a second to 1-2 seconds depending on the size of the game or program.

I use an NVMe drive as my boot drive, and that was an upgrade from a fairly standard SATA SSD. I noticed absolutely zero difference in anything. I'm just glad I upgraded to a bigger drive because it would have felt like a waste.

So, it might make more sense to get a big NVMe drive and use it to load all your games from and keep the SSD for Windows.

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
If it were me I would keep the OS on the NVME and the SSD (whether is be a 2.5 or NVME) for storage/gaming. I just ditched my WD HDD for a nvme for gaming and it's sooooo much faster. I did look at a few youtube vids and for game loading times between nvme and ssd it's about a second or two.

Reactions: Kristian77
First, back up all of the data on the HDD!

I would keep the OS onto the faster NVME SSD and use the 250gb SSD as storage, although you can use either drive as you wish.

or should I replace both SSD (250gb) and HDD (1TB) for the NVMe drive which I would have to buy an OS license?
If you are changing the motherboard, Windows has a good possibility to go unactivated even if you dont change drive configuration at all.

Does having boot on SSD and NVMe just as main storage somehow effect each others performance?
No.

Reactions: Kristian77
The noticeable difference between NVMe and a SATA SSD isn't huge. The numbers are bigger on the NVMe drive, but in every day use you don't really notice. If you are moving a lot of files around or loading games into memory you'll notice some difference, but for load times it is from fractions of a second to 1-2 seconds depending on the size of the game or program.

I use an NVMe drive as my boot drive, and that was an upgrade from a fairly standard SATA SSD. I noticed absolutely zero difference in anything. I'm just glad I upgraded to a bigger drive because it would have felt like a waste.

So, it might make more sense to get a big NVMe drive and use it to load all your games from and keep the SSD for Windows.

Solution