What would be causing such major spikes in my ping?

nr0003

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
Normally in two of my games, my ping would be between 35-50 and 45-60 but now in one it is between 35-120 and 45-180 but it changes very frequently. I will press tab to check my ping and it will be at like 65 then two seconds later I will check again and it will be at like 110 and then ill check it again and it will be at like 50. Nothing has changed hardware wise and everything is in the same room as it always is. I'm the only one on the network and no other devices are on.

Update: changed my DNAS server and it fixed.

It really doesn't matter if you are the only one on the network in your house. There are lots of houses around you using WiFi that interfere with your network even thought they have their own internet. The fancy cars with the mobile hotspots driving by also interfere.

Unless you live way out in the country you will have huge numbers of other wifi signal competing.

Even when you are the only wifi device someone walking through a room changes the signal pattern so you can get spikes.

Pretty much this only has a large impact on games which is why it is strongly recommended you do not use wifi for online games. Your best option is to use ethernet if possible and then try something like powerline networks.

nr0003

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017

Oh :/, yeah I am way too far away to use an ethernet cable, and I also have a powerline adapter but that is even worse than the wifi.