[SOLVED] What would be considered too high of temps?

Jul 17, 2019
I have an i7-7700k and a Cryorig h7 cooler. I recently have tried overclocking my CPU, and I can get 4.9Ghz with a voltage of 1.45V but the temps are in the low to mid-90s when stressing both the CPU and GPU. Alternatively, I can get 4.8Ghz without changing the voltage and my temps stay mostly in the mid to high 80s. Should I stick with the 4.8Ghz overclock or will the CPU be fine with temps being low to mid-90s?

Solution
Baconbits99,

Although Throttle temperature is 100°C (212°F) for the i7-7700K, it’s not advisable to run your CPU near its thermal limit. If your hottest Core is near its specified Tj Max Throttle temperature, then your CPU is already too hot.

The consensus among well informed and highly experienced system builders, reviewers and overclockers, is that cooler is better for ultimate stability, performance and longevity. Experts all agree that it's prudent to observe a reasonable thermal margin below Throttle temperature. So regardless of environmental conditions, hardware configurations, software workloads or any other variables ...

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core...

Veloci

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
You're pushing it, I'm afraid.

Personally, I don't like my CPU (or GPU) going beyond 80c. So drop the frequency and voltages a tad bit, unless you really need every single kilohertz of that 4.9GHz clock speed. Alternatively, just build a water-block and go all the way to 5.0Ghz.

If I was you though; I'd undervolt / clock it to 4Ghz and run it at 60ish temperature. But then again, I happen to be a 'patient gamer' who is more than happy with 720p @ 60FPS with V-Sync.

Oh well...

Bass Junkie

Commendable
Jul 21, 2019
7700k is good up to 100 c tj max
i would like to see under 90 c max while stress testing
game temps 50 - 75 c max
that is my general rule

what is your vcore set at ?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Baconbits99,

Although Throttle temperature is 100°C (212°F) for the i7-7700K, it’s not advisable to run your CPU near its thermal limit. If your hottest Core is near its specified Tj Max Throttle temperature, then your CPU is already too hot.

The consensus among well informed and highly experienced system builders, reviewers and overclockers, is that cooler is better for ultimate stability, performance and longevity. Experts all agree that it's prudent to observe a reasonable thermal margin below Throttle temperature. So regardless of environmental conditions, hardware configurations, software workloads or any other variables ...

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

Core temperatures increase and decrease with ambient temperature. The "standard" for normal ambient (room) temperature is 22°C or 72°F. For every degree you're above normal ambient, so are your Core temperatures.

• What is your ambient temperature?

Overclocking is always limited by two factors; voltage and temperature. Excessive Vcore and Core temperature may result in accelerated "Electromigration" - https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Electromigration

This prematurely erodes the traces and junctions within the processor's layers and nano-circuits, which will eventually result in blue-screen crashes that become increasingly frequent over time. Here's the maximum recommended Core voltage per Microarchitecture from 14 to 65 nanometers since 2006:

With high-end cooling you might reach the Vcore limit before 85°C. With low-end cooling you’ll reach 85°C before the Vcore limit. Regardless, whichever limit you reach first is where you should stop.

Remember to keep overclocking in perspective. For example, the difference between 4.5 GHz and 4.6 Ghz is less than 2.3%, which has no noticeable impact on overall system performance. It simply isn’t worth pushing your processor beyond recommended Core voltage and Core temperature limits just to squeeze out another 100 MHz.

You might want to read this: Intel Temperature Guide

CT :sol:

Solution

TRENDING THREADS