What would be the best choice for an Ethernet Cord over 50 ft long?

Dash46

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2016
I bought a 50ft cat 5 Ethernet cord on ebay only to find out that it is not long enough. I need it to across the house through the attic since the phone line is on the other side of the house. I measure it across my house and got a measurements between 30 to 40ft; had some difficulty measuring since no room is over 10 ft long. It only lack 10 ft. I have tried using an extension, but it it cut internet speed in half. I thought maybe getting a 75 ft. would be better; plus it would reach my ps4 on the other side of the room as well. The only problem I have heard is that if you go over 50 ft you begin to lose Internet speed.

What do you think? Will I lose internet Speed if I go for the 75 ft cat 5 ethernet cord.

Solution
It should have easily worked to just use a cable coupler and combine 2 ethernet cables. You can go 100 meters and even using a coupler in a cable very close to the maximum likely would work fine.

You likely have a defective cable or the coupler is bad.

Be very careful where you buy your cable from. There is a lot of fake cable being sold on ebay and even amazon. The cable is most times CCA (copper clad aluminum) and not pure copper cable. That cable is not certified to even run ethernet and has all kinds of issues both for distance and because the connectors get loose over time. Unfortunately the words CAT5, CAT6 etc mean nothing really. It must say it is EIA/TIA certified but many vendors will outright lie and say they...
It should have easily worked to just use a cable coupler and combine 2 ethernet cables. You can go 100 meters and even using a coupler in a cable very close to the maximum likely would work fine.

You likely have a defective cable or the coupler is bad.

Be very careful where you buy your cable from. There is a lot of fake cable being sold on ebay and even amazon. The cable is most times CCA (copper clad aluminum) and not pure copper cable. That cable is not certified to even run ethernet and has all kinds of issues both for distance and because the connectors get loose over time. Unfortunately the words CAT5, CAT6 etc mean nothing really. It must say it is EIA/TIA certified but many vendors will outright lie and say they are EIA/TIA certified even though the standard very clearly says the cable must be 100% copper so have aluminum automatically means it will never be certified.

Also avoid any cable that makes claims about being thin or flat. Almost all that cable uses wires that are too small to be certified cable. The wire must be between awg 22-24. It does work for short distance but the vendors should not sell it as certified cable. I have even seen this being sold in walmart.

If you buy a cable from a reputable vendor a cat5e cable will have no issues running up to a 100 meters at 1gbit speed.

Solution