What would be the best CPU to upgrade to for my current rig?

crysisman546

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
I'm looking to upgrade both my CPU and possibly motherboard (if i choose to go Intel over AMD). I own and play some CPU intensive games such as Battlefield 3 and 4, GTA V, Saints Row IV, etc and i wanted to know what CPU would be the best upgrade from my current FX-8350 in terms of performance? (It can be an Intel CPU too)

Specs:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid-Size

Monitor: Samsung S22C150 21.5' Inch 1080p, 60Hz

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4gb (No OC)

CPU: AMD FX-8350 8-Core Black Edition (No OC)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb

Disk Drive: Samsung SH-224DB / BEBE DVD/CD Writer

Cooling Fan: Cooler Master JetFlo 95.0 CFM 120mm Red

PSU: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-Bit (upgraded from Windows 7 Home 64-Bit)

Solution
It is very good, but if you have the budget the i7 is worth it (but really depends on the games you play).

If you're into those big map/player count MMOs (like BattleField 1), or maybe like to do things like streaming/recording or other gaming multitasks.....then it will certainly help.

If you're not an over-clocker, then I'd look at the locked i7 and a board to match, rather than spending extra on the cooling and Z-board to make it worth while. Of course if you ever planned on adding a second 970 for higher frames/resolution, then planning for that can change it a bit.

crysisman546

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Meh, i just decided that instead of AMD i'd go Intel. I am looking at the Intel i5 6600k if that's a pretty beastly CPU?

Geekwad

Admirable
It is very good, but if you have the budget the i7 is worth it (but really depends on the games you play).

If you're into those big map/player count MMOs (like BattleField 1), or maybe like to do things like streaming/recording or other gaming multitasks.....then it will certainly help.

If you're not an over-clocker, then I'd look at the locked i7 and a board to match, rather than spending extra on the cooling and Z-board to make it worth while. Of course if you ever planned on adding a second 970 for higher frames/resolution, then planning for that can change it a bit.

Solution