What would be the best upgrades for my low level pc?

WasiGamer

Reputable
May 13, 2017
Specs:
CPU: i5 2300 @ 2.8 GHZ
GPU: EVGA GTX 1050 2GB SC
RAM: 8GB (1333 MHz DDR3 Non-ECC) , Motherboard only has 2 DIMM slots btw, dual channel I believe.
Storage: 500 GB (5200 rpm I believe) Mechanical HDD

So, best upgrades whilst not breaking the bank? Don't want to swap out the case or Motherboard.

The PC is actually a OEM pc (I believe, a lot of "I believe"). It's a Dell Vostro 260, 300W PC. I'll attach a pdf file containing all specs (skip to page 44/65).

As the PC is an OEM, there's no molex cable to attach anything more powerful than a 1050. So that's a mini problem, but I could get a molex adaptor? I'm not sure, I used to be interested in basic PC shenanigans hence I kinda know this sh** more than the average PC user.

One more thing, I bought the PC on eBay in October 2016 mainly for my studies, REFURBISHED.

I'll most likely respond quickly, unless I'm asleep midday and before 3PM.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

My PC specs and available functions (Excluding the GPU I inserted a year ago): https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/downloads/memory-configurations/69814.pdf

Edit: Just realised.... AN SSD? IS it really worth it? You hear PC nerds saying "It's impossible to have a modern pc and not include an SSD".But I'm not a handsy guy. I'm no good with making stuff. I find it hard to assemble an office chair or desk, so I'd prefer to avoid that stuff if possible.

bnewlands32

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2017

I was thinking you had 1 stick of 8 gb. do you have 2 sticks of 4?

A swap out to an SSD would net you the most visible quality of life improvements. Especially since you may have just a 5200rpm, most of the slow downs hand holds ups you experience on that machine are likely coming from the HDD.

It's very easy to do, just two cables.

WasiGamer

Reputable
May 13, 2017

Yes, 2 x 4 GB

WasiGamer

Reputable
May 13, 2017

Ok, would you say it's worth going for a 120GB rather than a 60GB cos I don't wanna go all out. Surely, If I put Windows on the SSD and maybe a couple of applications, that'll be good enough.

Secondly, any good SSD's (60GB and 120GB), off the top of your head. The popular one by Kingston is a good deal, 500 MB/s write and 450 read.