What Would Be The Best Way To Get Wired Network To My Room

Shadowwrath5

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Hi, I would like to bring wired internet to the second floor of my house to multiple devices. I have a router on the first floor but the wifi is unstable. Ive been looking at the lynksis powerline products as a solution but I had a question.
I want to bring wired internet to multiple devices (5 to be exact) so is there a powerline product that offers multiple outlets?
If not could it be possible to connect the outlet to a second router and use that to power the other devices?

As a bonus challenge: My neighbor (my grandma) has super fast internet. I dont want to run a cord from her house to mine obviously but I want to use her internet for streaming, I tried using a wifi booster which works but it isnt too reliable do to the distance. Can you guys think of a solution?

Solution
if the home you live in you own, and your grandma owns hers, the best solution is to run a direct burial CAT6 cable between the homes

there's tons of ways to grab her wifi signal - of which I won't get into (I don't have time to do all that typing)

you wouldn't use a second router connected to the powerline jack, you would use a switch that you then connect your 5 devices to with cables

dingo07

Distinguished
if the home you live in you own, and your grandma owns hers, the best solution is to run a direct burial CAT6 cable between the homes

there's tons of ways to grab her wifi signal - of which I won't get into (I don't have time to do all that typing)

you wouldn't use a second router connected to the powerline jack, you would use a switch that you then connect your 5 devices to with cables

Solution

Dogsnake

Distinguished
What you are suggesting is a theft of service. Your Grandmom has her account with whatever ISP is being used. You using her service in a different house is without doubt in violation of her service agreement. Doing it could result in her service being cancelled. As another note, running a long cable from her connection to your house then setting up some sort of splitter/router/switch may very well degrade her service.

Shadowwrath5

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Ah! A switch I didnt think of that. Thanks!
A follow up question: Do you have a powerline product that you would recommend? I did a speedtest and I have about 5.49mbs down and about 1.09 up. What range of mbps would I be looking at for the powerline and the switch. Or rather what would be the conversion I would use to tell. i.e. if i have 5.49 mbs i should get a router with this speed.

edit: Ignore that Im dumb.. just realized how stupid that sounds. On a side note if im paying for 25mbps shouldnt that show on the speedtest.net? what could be causing my speed to be so low?

Shadowwrath5

Honorable
May 31, 2013

Hm your right about the cable. The main reason I didnt want to use a cable aside from the fact that I have no way to get it into my property. But using a wifi booster should be fine right? On that note do you know of a way to make a booster signal more reliable? Hard to stream when you drop frames all the time.

For in your house: use a powerline adapter to get wired internet to the devices you want. The TP-Link 500mbps adapters are pretty decent.

From your grandma's house: wifi boosters dont work nearly as well as you would like wihtout putting out the $$ for the enterprise products. The off-the-shelf products you can buy at your local brick-and-mortor stores are gong to be limited power single radio devices. Single radio repeaters have to split their bandwidth in half because they have to talk to the wifi source device, and then talk to the destination mobile devices. There are solutions out there, but it will require you to mount antennas on both houses and run ethernet; and as others have stated, this most likely will violate the terms of your grandma's service.