Question what would be the Perfect GPU upgrade for my 7 year old CPU- Amd A10 7860k?

Mar 10, 2023
hey guys! im looking for a GPU upgrade on my A10-7860k processor, (i know i should just get a new CPU but if i do change it i will also need to upgrade my motherboard sooooo yea.) my options are rx 550 2gb 64bit and rx 580 8gb 256 bit (u guys can recommend me something else) also will there be no problem if i do get an rx 580 8gb to my motherboard? its (gigabyte f2a88xn-wifi rev 3.0 another old one) are they compatible like will there be no issues? thanks in advance guys!!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Have you been working with the APU, to this date?

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of your PSU apart from it's make and model.

If you do decide to go with the RX580, you're main concern would be the PSU, although your entire platform could actually benefit from an upgrade. Might want to pass on links to both GPU's you're eyeing for a purchase. If they're used, don't bother buying them, honestly.

Mar 10, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Have you been working with the APU, to this date?

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of your PSU apart from it's make and model.

If you do decide to go with the RX580, you're main concern would be the PSU, although your entire platform could actually benefit from an upgrade. Might want to pass on links to both GPU's you're eyeing for a purchase. If they're used, don't bother buying them, honestly.

Hello, thanks!!
and yes I've been using the APU for years now, this would be my first time buying a GPU
here are the detailed specs:

CPU: Amd A10-7860k
CPU cooler: Cryorig C1 ITX
Motherboard: ITX gigabyte f2a88xn-wifi rev 3.0
Ram: 16gb Hyperx 1600
SSD/HDD: hdd 1tb western digital/ssd 128gb kingston
GPU: none
PSU: ZM-450 fx (age: around 5-6 years i think)
Chassis: Silver Stone SG06BB-Lite Black (2009)
Monitor: Samsung S20D300F

im currently eyeing on this one (note: im currently a student and this is what i can afford at the moment, this brand suddenly became popular and as i've seen on the reviews it looks pretty legit) (im on asia btw so shopee/lazada is like our amazon) https://shopee.ph/AISURIX-100-New-G...o-card-for-Radeon-AMD-i.889624055.19963720159

also How many PSU watts should i get if i do go for the 580?

Lutfij

Titan
How many PSU watts should i get if i do go for the 580?
Glad you asked, you should look at a 650W reliably built unit. Considering you're working with a Sugo chassis(love that series btw but never got around to building in one although I did set aside funds for the SG07B-W-USB3.0, eventually went with another SFF chassis altogether), you should be looking at an SFX unit from the likes of Coolermaster, Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic or Thermaltake. The case you're working with is cramped so Corsair or Thermaltake would have the short cables out-of-the-box.

I noticed the ph extension on that Amazon URL, so you're located in the Philippines.

Here is a handy chart as to what the psu recommendations are for various graphics cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
450w is a no go for a rx580.
Add to that is the possibility that an older no name psu may not even deliver it's advertised wattage at 12v where it is needed.
And, do not plan on buying a cheap replacement psu which may fail under load and damage your parts.

To see if you could truly benefit from a graphics card upgrade, try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
While you should look for quality, reviewed, PSUs, the minimum you should do is check and make sure that the +12V wattage available matches (or is only a watt or two short) of the total output of the PSU. In the vast majority of cases -- like some Corsair TXs -- that means it's a cheap, group-regulated PSU that has zero business being used with an RX 580.

Remember, of course, that having a +12V wattage that matches the PSU's total output doesn't mean it's definitely a good one. By itself, it's necessary, but not sufficient.

Mar 10, 2023
Here is a handy chart as to what the psu recommendations are for various graphics cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
450w is a no go for a rx580.
Add to that is the possibility that an older no name psu may not even deliver it's advertised wattage at 12v where it is needed.
And, do not plan on buying a cheap replacement psu which may fail under load and damage your parts.

To see if you could truly benefit from a graphics card upgrade, try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

I tested it out on Warthunder, i usually play on all medium 1600x900 res (28-32fps) then i changed it to minimun requirements 1280x720 it gave me 57-60.

I only play, back in the day games like
-Warthunder (medium 32fps tops, 1600x900)
-Company of heroes 2 (lowest graphics i only get 20-30 fps 1280x720),
-Chivalry 2 (lowest 20-28 fps 1280x720 res)
-rainbow 6 (lowest 20-28 fps 1280x720)

I also edit on premiere pro (laggy when i start the playback)

I just hope the rx 580 gives me atleast 50+ fps stable on medium or even high..

Also thanks, i will also save up for a branded PSU

logainofhades

Titan
I tested it out on Warthunder, i usually play on all medium 1600x900 res (28-32fps) then i changed it to minimun requirements 1280x720 it gave me 57-60.

I only play, back in the day games like
-Warthunder (medium 32fps tops, 1600x900)
-Company of heroes 2 (lowest graphics i only get 20-30 fps 1280x720),
-Chivalry 2 (lowest 20-28 fps 1280x720 res)
-rainbow 6 (lowest 20-28 fps 1280x720)

I also edit on premiere pro (laggy when i start the playback)

I just hope the rx 580 gives me atleast 50+ fps stable on medium or even high..

Also thanks, i will also save up for a branded PSU

I think you would be better off, if you can afford to, is to step up to a 5600g, budget B550 board, and at least 16gb DDR4 3200 CL16 ram. It can handle those titles just fine, and would give you a huge boost, to Premiere pro.

iGPU_RSS.png

Reactions: Lutfij
Mar 10, 2023
How many PSU watts should i get if i do go for the 580?
Glad you asked, you should look at a 650W reliably built unit. Considering you're working with a Sugo chassis(love that series btw but never got around to building in one although I did set aside funds for the SG07B-W-USB3.0, eventually went with another SFF chassis altogether), you should be looking at an SFX unit from the likes of Coolermaster, Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic or Thermaltake. The case you're working with is cramped so Corsair or Thermaltake would have the short cables out-of-the-box.

I noticed the ph extension on that Amazon URL, so you're located in the Philippines.

Hi i just want to follow up another question, i did some research and apparently there would be some huge bottleneck issues? On the rx 580 and my current cpu (I watched some vids on YT) should i just go for the rx550 2gb 64bit to somehow lessen the bottleneck (does it work like that? I really have no idea on technical stuffs 😭)

Maebius

Splendid
Feb 17, 2017
Hi i just want to follow up another question, i did some research and apparently there would be some huge bottleneck issues? On the rx 580 and my current cpu (I watched some vids on YT) should i just go for the rx550 2gb 64bit to somehow lessen the bottleneck (does it work like that? I really have no idea on technical stuffs 😭)
I would avoid spending money on any card with less than 4GB Vram.

Lutfij

Titan
My colleagues above have given their points in which I'm always going to be in agreement with. If you're trying to build your system with yesteryears games/titles and that resolution, you're more than fine, regardless of what limitations you might be having, comes with the territory of going with a latter generation piece of tech and pairing it with a few generations ago(well it's nearly a decade now so, they're old!).

Reactions: thatpotatoPC

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@thatpotatoPC

to calm you down further, here's a video example of my oldest pc. Here is also a gap in strength betwen the Q9500 cpu and the GTX 1650 gpu.

at 1:33 is Street Fighter V playable at 900p
and at 4:55 is Xenon Racer playable at 1080p

however at 18:29 is Black Tail, a relatively new game which the GTX 1650 can handle, but the Q9500 and my small amount of ram cannot handle well. I'm forced to play the game at only 720p medium. You can see at the video, even at 720p it's just barely playable.

you will also encounter situation like this. Games that your Amd A10-7860k is good enough will play just fine. However, games where your gpu is strong enough but your cpu cannot cope, you will be forced to use medium settings or less. :)

View: https://youtu.be/k2jMHaJggG4

Last edited: