Question What would cause adb to only work half way ?

tek3195

Prominent
Feb 7, 2021
I very seldom use windows but today tried to use adb and it's odd. When typing 'adb shell' I get adb shell as normal, 'adb devices' shows nothing. It is obviously connected if I can run shell commands in the shell. I can also push files to the device and run logcat. Shell commands from terminal don't work, or not all of them anyway, I tried setting device owner with 'adb shell dpm' commands and they disappear with the enter key. Settings commands don't work either. I'm using windows 10 pro from a usb drive and installed adb minimal with 15 sec installer.

tek3195

Prominent
Feb 7, 2021
usb debugging needs to be enabled on your android device for adb to work
usb debugging was enabled, I could open shell and navigate inside. Like I had said, I could run logcat, debugging was enabled. It was just a lot of commands didn't work, no errors or exceptions thrown, more like enter deleted the command. Several times with different commands the terminal or cmd prompt would force close, not minimize but close like it never existed.

tek3195

Prominent
Feb 7, 2021
Are you using the full fledged ADB kit or just the minimal fastboot and adb install?

It's just minimal but was never a problem before. It's been a few months since I plugged windows in to use any android tools, but everything used to work. I have a SigmaKey and Miracle Box that I own which aren't compatible with Linux, they're barely win10 compatible, win 7 was recommended when I bought Sigma bout 18 months ago. 7 should have been close to EOL then if not already past it. Anyway, everything used to work, adb and fastboot from platform tools not so much now. adb and fastboot from Sigma and Miracle work with same device I was having problems with. I updated all that asked or insisted with no improvement. I guess next time I need it I will reinstall it and see what happens. I fixed the device by other means and the drive with windows is in a drawer, or may be under a table.

I was more curious than anything else as to what would cause such weirdness. Luckily I don't know much about windows, I didn't switch to Linux, I started on it. I appreciate your time in trying to help, Thank You

TRENDING THREADS