[SOLVED] What would represent an "upgrade" at this point?

jerH

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
My son has a desktop computer that he bought a few years ago:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CUZKM3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We added an SSD and upgraded the RAM, but that's it. He's pretty happy with it, but was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade the graphics card that came with it. According to the specs site, that's a GTX750 TI 2GB. I'm so far out of the hardware game that I don't know what's what anymore, and he's a history major :)

Looking on NewEgg for PCI-e 2.0 graphics cards there's about a gazillion of them, and I really don't know if any of them represent an upgrade over what he has. I'm sure the one that $1,680 probably is....but beyond that?

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
For the system as it is, I wouldn't go higher than a GTX1060 6gb or RX480/580. The system is slightly getting on, and will struggle to game on new titles. You will get a substantial boost in gaming performance moving from a 750ti to a GTX1060 or so. But the CPU in there may hold back anything stronger than the cards i've mentioned.

TBH , there is not much more to upgrade with that system. It's EOL. I would find it difficult to recommend putting any money in to it to upgrade. But the cards I've mentioned will work, and give a good boost over what's there.

After the GPU upgrade though, it's time to consider a new system.
For the system as it is, I wouldn't go higher than a GTX1060 6gb or RX480/580. The system is slightly getting on, and will struggle to game on new titles. You will get a substantial boost in gaming performance moving from a 750ti to a GTX1060 or so. But the CPU in there may hold back anything stronger than the cards i've mentioned.

TBH , there is not much more to upgrade with that system. It's EOL. I would find it difficult to recommend putting any money in to it to upgrade. But the cards I've mentioned will work, and give a good boost over what's there.

After the GPU upgrade though, it's time to consider a new system.

Reactions: jerH
Solution

jerH

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
Thanks! He doesn't play many of the over-the-top performance hogs. He mostly plays:
Fallout New Vegas
Hearts of Iron IV
Garry's Mod

He's a little concerned about when Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out....
We realize this is getting long in the tooth...appreciate the suggestions!