What would the difference be in temperature?

orangeme

Honorable
Nov 17, 2016
Hey I have an i5 processor and i'm looking for a motherboard for it because it broke sadly and I can only find new ones that are "MicroATX" and i was wondering how much would the temp change if i have a mid tower case, gtx 1060, stock cpu cooler, and 2x8 ram?

Solution
The spacing doesn't really change. CPU socket is a fixed size. Still has full length DIMMs, and PCIe slots. Just three less of them. If anything there is less on the board to power up, though not much of a difference. Basically the board is smaller by about 2 inches, only at the bottom.

Typically people don't use all the ports and slots on an ATX board. That is why most OEM computers are Micro ATX, and why Micro ATX boards are available on the market the longest, as replacement parts for them.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
None? The board doesn't really effect temperatures all that much. Vast majority of the power consumption will be the CPU. Motherboard VRM temperature will be directly related to the load on the CPU, basically the waste heat from converting 12V down to the 2ish volts the CPU takes as input. Memory and the chipset are fairly low power.

orangeme

Honorable
Nov 17, 2016

I mean since I had a normal ATX one and now i'll have a micro atx one wouldn't the components be a slight bit closer to each other? or am I completely wrong?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The spacing doesn't really change. CPU socket is a fixed size. Still has full length DIMMs, and PCIe slots. Just three less of them. If anything there is less on the board to power up, though not much of a difference. Basically the board is smaller by about 2 inches, only at the bottom.

Typically people don't use all the ports and slots on an ATX board. That is why most OEM computers are Micro ATX, and why Micro ATX boards are available on the market the longest, as replacement parts for them.

Solution

orangeme

Honorable
Nov 17, 2016

Oh, well okay that's good, thank you lots :p cleared my worrying away