[SOLVED] What would you change on this configuration?

Nov 4, 2019
Hello guys! I'm planning to buy a new computer, I don't want anything extremely powerful, just something I can run most games on. Graphics don't really matter too much to me, if I can run a game on medium without it lagging to hell, I'm satisfied. This is what I came up with so far:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X YD260XBCAFBOX
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9A-AM4
GPU: Asus GTX1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 ROG-STRIX
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz
HDD: Toshiba 1TB 64MB HDWD110UZSVA
SSD: Samsung 250GB 970 EVO Plus MZ-V7S250BW M.2 PCIe
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS
PSU: Chieftec BBS-600S 600W
PC Case: Fractal Design FD-CA-MESH-C-BKO-TGL Meshify C TG
I made sure the PSU is 80+gold, I've seen only positive feedbacks about Noctua CPU coolers so I picked this. I don't really want to go over the budget I have for it (it should be around 1080 in USD), but if there's something better without spending too much more on it I'd gladly accept any suggestions.

Thank you for your time and your answers in advance!

Nov 4, 2019
I would change the power supply to something I'm familiar with that I trust like a Seasonic or a Corsair.
Thanks for the answer, although I've checked several Corsair PSUs (in my price range) and none of them were gold rated, most of them were white or bronze at best. I'll check again though, and I'll check Seasonic out as well. Thank you!

Thanks for the answer, although I've checked several Corsair PSUs (in my price range) and none of them were gold rated, most of them were white or bronze at best. I'll check again though, and I'll check Seasonic out as well. Thank you!
Don't get all caught up on "gold rated" etc.
This is just the efficiency.
There are lots of gold rated horrible power supplies out there.
I would much rather have a bronze rated Seasonic than a gold rated piece of crap.

Nov 4, 2019
I would change the power supply to something I'm familiar with that I trust like a Seasonic or a Corsair.
Okay, I've checked it already, this is the one
Don't get all caught up on "gold rated" etc.
This is just the efficiency.
There are lots of gold rated horrible power supplies out there.
I would much rather have a bronze rated Seasonic than a gold rated piece of crap.
I guess you are right! :D I've already checked Seasonic by the way, and I've found this:
Seasonic CORE-GC-650 (650W and it's gold rated and it costs about 20$ more)
I think I'll go with this one.
Thanks for the advice!

Okay, I've checked it already, this is the one

I guess you are right! :D I've already checked Seasonic by the way, and I've found this:
Seasonic CORE-GC-650 (650W and it's gold rated and it costs about 20$ more)
I think I'll go with this one.
Thanks for the advice!
You're welcome.
Here is a great post on power supplies by someone who seems to know a lot more about the brands than I do.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ussion-and-recommended-models-thread.3212332/

Reactions: SIpesz
Nov 4, 2019
You're welcome.
Here is a great post on power supplies by someone who seems to know a lot more about the brands than I do.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ussion-and-recommended-models-thread.3212332/
You're welcome.

Thank you for linking the post, I've only read the part about Seasonic and the part about what not to get because I'm at work and I have to pretend I'm actually doing something productive, but I think your help just turned an incoming disaster into an actually good PSU. :D

Nov 4, 2019
Change your drive situation.
There is little reason to buy a 1TB spinning drive these days.

You selected:
250GB EVO Plus
$71
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MG119KG

Toshiba P300 1TB
$47
https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-4040S35-P300-1TB/dp/B0151KM3I0

$118 for both.

Change to...

Intel 660p 1TB
$98
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-660p-1-0TB-80mm-978350/dp/B07GCL6BR4
Thank you for the advice, I've already made the change according to your suggestion, although the price difference wasn't as big as you mentioned since the Toshiba HDD is on sale at the moment on the website I'm going to order the things from, but it's way better to have the 1TB SSD for almost the same price. I haven't really thought about that, I was too fixated on digging through articles about Core i5-9400f vs ryzen 5 2600x.
Thank you again!

Sep 15, 2019
Since you are not overclocking the CPU better get the R5 2600 variant. There isn't much difference between the 2600 and 2600X just higher clock speed and overclocking headroom. Save some money by getting the 2600 and shift the budget to somewhere else. Better Invest on the SSD getting a higher storage capacity.

Nov 4, 2019
If you don't plan on doing any overclocking the stock ryzen cooler is not terrible, and could shift some of your budget to something else. Just a thought.

I'm 100% sure I'm not going to overclock the CPU. I've read that it's not recommended for people inexperienced in the subject since not doing it properly can shorten the lifespan of the CPU heavily. Plus specifically the 2600x doesn't get enough power from the process to be worth overclocking, and I did read that the stock vent is okay, but it can be a bit loud and it is recommended to get one instead. I'll read some more about it, you might be right. Thanks for the advice!

Nov 4, 2019
Since you are not overclocking the CPU better get the R5 2600 variant. There isn't much difference between the 2600 and 2600X just higher clock speed and overclocking headroom. Save some money by getting the 2600 and shift the budget to somewhere else. Better Invest on the SSD getting a higher storage capacity.

I've checked some tests and comparison videos about the 2 CPUs after reading your comment, and I think you are completely right. I'm not going to overclock, and the difference in games were about 5 fps max and 2-3 on avarage, I can save some money there. Thanks for the advice!

The stock cooler can be a bit loud. It is a relatively small fan that spins at a decent rpm. But depending on how sensitive you are to noise, it may not bother you at all. If using headphones, I doubt you'd even hear it. An aftermarket cooler is never a bad idea, for better cooling and less noise though.

Nov 4, 2019
I would use a rx 5700 instead its more powerful and only costs not too much more plus you get 8gb of vram

Hello! Thanks for the advice! I've checked out RX 5700 video card but it confused me a bit, since I can't find any good articles about the problem I have with it.
So I've searched it up, and I've found that the price range in RX 5700 is really big.
I've found two kinds , one is almost the same price as 1660 TI
(This is the model: 21294-01-20G)
https://www.sapphiretech.com/-/medi...00_02.ashx?v=6e1bfa7eef8c4476b3f93d7d24602cc4
And here's the other one , but it costs about a hundred dollars more
(model: GV-R57 GAMING)
https://c1.neweggimages.com/ProductImageCompressAll300/14-932-209-V01.jpg

The first one is more likely to be overheating, am I right? With that closed case. And it seems to be the smaller version with 2 vents.
If I want to make this change, I should be aiming for the bigger one, right?

Nov 4, 2019
Okay, so after a bit of messing around, this is where I'm at right now:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 YD2600BBAFBOX
CPU Cooler: Removed Noctua for now
GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 GV-R57GAMING OC-8GD
HDD: None
SSD: Intel 1TB M.2 660P
PSU: Seasonic Focus+ SSR-550FX 550W 80+ Gold

I'm not sure how I feel about leaving out the CPU cooler, but this setup now costs around the same as the starting one.

If you want a nice and affordable cooler you have many, many options: https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/freezer-34-esports-duo.html and also many brands like deepcool, cooler master and be quiet! too. Noctua's are great and they last a long time and have really good warranties, but some models like the coolermaster hyper 212 evo or the deppcool gammaxx 400 have been around for a long time and they both perform very well even today.

The only thing I would change on this build is the motherboard. I love Asus, but only if I was building this PC today and I knew I would probably change cpu in two years top then I would love to have a stronger VRM than what this motherboard brings (there are a few options like Asrock B450 Pro4; Asus Prime X470-Pro; or MSI Gaming Pro, or Pro Carbon, B450 Mortar, etc.).

Don't get me wrong, the motherboard you listed is more than enough for any Ryzen 5 out there today and even the Ryzen 7 3700X too (as long as you don't try to oc this last one).

Last edited:
Reactions: PrinceTexasLoaf
Nov 4, 2019
If you want a nice and affordable cooler you have many, many options: https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/freezer-34-esports-duo.html and also many brands like deepcool, cooler master and be quiet! too. Noctua's are great and they last a long time and have really good warranties, but some models like the coolermaster hyper 212 evo or the deppcool gammaxx 400 have been around for a long time and they both perform very well even today.

The only thing I would change on this build is the motherboard. I love Asus, but only if I was building this PC today and I knew I would probably change cpu in two years top then I would love to have a stronger VRM than what this motherboard brings (there are a dfew options like Asrock B450 Pro4; Asus Prime X470-Pro; or MSI Gaming Pro, or Pro Carbon, B450 Mortar, etc.).

Don't get me wrong, the motherboard you listed is more than enough for any Ryzen 5 out there today and even the Ryzen 7 3700X too (as long as you don't try to oc this last one).

I don't think I'll be updating the CPU in a while, but if I will, I'll make sure to get the proper motherboard, thanks for the heads up!
I changed the CPU cooler to this model you linked, it's way better in price-value rate than the one I picked. I guess if someone wants to save money, he/she has to let Noctua go, since their cheaper models are not the best. Thank you! :)

Okay, so after a bit of messing around, this is where I'm at right now:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 YD2600BBAFBOX
CPU Cooler: Removed Noctua for now
GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 GV-R57GAMING OC-8GD
HDD: None
SSD: Intel 1TB M.2 660P
PSU: Seasonic Focus+ SSR-550FX 550W 80+ Gold

I'm not sure how I feel about leaving out the CPU cooler, but this setup now costs around the same as the starting one.
I would recommend if you get 3200mhz to only run it at 3066mhz or 3000mhz cause when I was testing with high speed memory I found out that anything 100+ mhz above 3000mhz actually causes worse performance in your cpu at least in my case 3066mhz was faster than 3133mhz with my ryzen 5 2600

Reactions: SIpesz and RodroX
I don't think I'll be updating the CPU in a while, but if I will, I'll make sure to get the proper motherboard, thanks for the heads up!
I changed the CPU cooler to this model you linked, it's way better in price-value rate than the one I picked. I guess if someone wants to save money, he/she has to let Noctua go, since their cheaper models are not the best. Thank you! :)
Also if you wanna oc your 2600 depending on how much you won the silicon lottery for me I have to have my cpu @ 1.3125V to achieve 3.9GHz I need 1.35V to get 3950GHz so I run mine at 3.9GHz I lost the silicon lottery but if you did win its worth overclocking but if you do oc with a stock cooler what I actually did was put a fan ontop of my original cpu fan and that reduced temps by a few C but always monitor temps on a stress test and dont let it get over 88C at most on Intel burn test etc if it does its not a good idea to keep your oc I would recommend an aftermarket cpu cooler if you did oc but if you dont oc the stock cooler is fine if you do oc though try to keep it under 1.37V to be safe and watch plenty of tutorials on what to do etc before attempting you dont have to watch tutorials for your cpu but I recommend it also if you bios supports it find a way to have it boot you to bios if there's issues or reset bios so you dont need to take the cmos out or short pins to clear bios

Nov 4, 2019
Also if you wanna oc your 2600 depending on how much you won the silicon lottery for me I have to have my cpu @ 1.3125V to achieve 3.9GHz I need 1.35V to get 3950GHz so I run mine at 3.9GHz I lost the silicon lottery but if you did win its worth overclocking but if you do oc with a stock cooler what I actually did was put a fan ontop of my original cpu fan and that reduced temps by a few C but always monitor temps on a stress test and dont let it get over 88C at most on Intel burn test etc if it does its not a good idea to keep your oc I would recommend an aftermarket cpu cooler if you did oc but if you dont oc the stock cooler is fine if you do oc though try to keep it under 1.37V to be safe and watch plenty of tutorials on what to do etc before attempting you dont have to watch tutorials for your cpu but I recommend it also if you bios supports it find a way to have it boot you to bios if there's issues or reset bios so you dont need to take the cmos out or short pins to clear bios
Thank you for the advices, I'll not do any overclocking, I think. The thing about the RAM is interesting, I'll look into it. Thanks!