What would you suggest?

brandoneson

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Hey everyone, I'm not very smart when it comes to computers, so i thought i would ask you guys the best graphics card i can get for this computer that is maybe a little over $100, or maybe a little less. But that's the most I'm willing to spend.

My Computer Specs

Im upgrading to 2gigs of ram soon. I just want to get one that will let me play some TF2 and some CS:S. Don't really want to go overboard. So i thought i would get some suggestions. Thanks.

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
well ur using pci express interface so you can pretty much get any modern graphic card. what will limit you is the power supply. the website doesn't list what the power supply is, the max wattage and how many amps on 12v rail it has. the amps is the limiting factor right now. not enough amps to a high end card and nothing happens. you would have to upgrade the power supply as well.

what you can do i take a picture of the power supply and the wattage break-up table that it has, and then post it here. this will let us know what is the max card that this computer can handle.

You have 180W (15A) on the 12v rail. That's rather low. You need to get a new PSU if you want to run a decent card. If you can't afford to get a new PSU then your best bet is to go with an NVIDIA 9500GT. Anything more power hungry than that is pushing it.

Does the 12v rail matter on a GPU that does not have its own power cable? All the power is coming though the motherboard, isnt that one of the other rails? The 12v rail would be the HDD/CD/Floppy?

A 4800 series is not an option, he doesnt have any PCIE power cables.

I would decisvely say "maybe". The PSU is so questionable. If the CD comes on while you are playing a game it may overload. Then again everything may work fine.

Though if that PSU does actually have a 6pin PCIE adapter I would say its likely to work.

brandoneson

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
http://img406.imageshack.us/i/img0359n.jpg/

http://img402.imageshack.us/i/img0360y.jpg/

those are the only two plugs that weren't plugged in.

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
well 4770 is 40nm gpu, it uses very little power. if you can;t power it up, through the pcie power adapter and your power supply, then you will have to get a new one.