[SOLVED] What would YOU upgrade next?

Delythien

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Find the weakest link. I'm going to upgrade my PC and I'm trying to identify which components I should switch out to get the most out of it.

My specs:
CPU - Intel Core i7-9700K - 8x 3.60GHz
GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 2070 AERO 8G
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI Gaming
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4-3200 CL 16 - 16 GB (2x8GB)
PSU - Corsair RM550x v2 - 550 Watt
CPU cooler - Noctua NH-D15 CPU - 140/140mm
SSD - Samsung 250GB SSD 860 EVO
SSD 2 - Samsung 1TB SSD 860 EVO
HDD - 1TB

I'm mainly using my PC for gaming and programming. I should also note that I'm using two 2560x1440 monitors.
Could you point out three of my components that I would benefit the most from changing (if possible in order)?

Solution
The front of the chassis looks attractive but somewhat restrictive for airflow. Another of the Silent Wings fans up front would certainly be a good idea. If you have the luxury of getting an NVME drive the Samsung is a great choice as you already know. You'll want a fresh windows install on it. That's all I got. Nice rig.
Find the weakest link. I'm going to upgrade my PC and I'm trying to identify which components I should switch out to get the most out of it.

My specs:
CPU - Intel Core i7-9700K - 8x 3.60GHz
GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 2070 AERO 8G
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI Gaming
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4-3200 CL 16 - 16 GB (2x8GB)
PSU - Corsair RM550x v2 - 550 Watt
CPU cooler - Noctua NH-D15 CPU - 140/140mm
SSD - Samsung 250GB SSD 860 EVO
SSD 2 - Samsung 1TB SSD 860 EVO
HDD - 1TB

I'm mainly using my PC for gaming and programming. I should also note that I'm using two 2560x1440 monitors.
Could you point out three of my components that I would benefit the most from changing (if possible in order)?
Looks like a great system to me. Do you have any performance expectations that are not being met? I'd like to know what chassis and case fan setup you're using in order to evaluate overall system cooling. An m.2 NVME drive would be nice but you already have SSD's so not much point getting one now as performance increase would be small, maybe not even noticeable. You have a great PSU, nuff said there. Your DDR4 is good and does not warrant upgrading as long as 16GB is meeting your needs. It was smart to get the low-profile LPX memory to avoid potential problems with mounting the monster Noctua cooler, well done.

Delythien

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
It was smart to get the low-profile LPX memory to avoid potential problems with mounting the monster Noctua cooler, well done.
Yeah, was unsure how that was going to work out, but it actually worked out nicely.

I'd like to know what chassis and case fan setup you're using in order to evaluate overall system cooling.
be quiet! Dark Base 700 midi-tower case
Though I'm currently using only the pre-installed fans (one in the front and one on the rear). I'm planning on adding some as I had some GPU overheating problems when my fans were running on low.

Do you have any performance expectations that are not being met?
Sadly I'm a person who enjoys modded games. May it be content, graphics, UI, anything really. And that usually overburdens my PC. I normally prefer content over graphics (as long as it's decent).

Though upgrading my PC isn't much of an issue since anything I replace I can always install on my girlfriend's PC to upgrade hers.
For instance if I'd buy a M.2 NVMe drive, I could always give my SSD to her. Was in fact even thinking about buying a Samsung 970 EVO plus.

The front of the chassis looks attractive but somewhat restrictive for airflow. Another of the Silent Wings fans up front would certainly be a good idea. If you have the luxury of getting an NVME drive the Samsung is a great choice as you already know. You'll want a fresh windows install on it. That's all I got. Nice rig.

Solution

Delythien

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Thanks. Yeah, I'll probably rather work on the cooling system and upgrade that SSD.

Sounds like you have some funds and the itch to spend.

Perhaps one thing you could do is to overclock your 9700K.
The intel performance maximizer app would be an easy way to do that:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html

Perhaps a large 4k monitor would make your games more immersive.

Then, you might want a stronger graphics card like a RTX2080ti.

I like the simplicity of a single large ssd for windows. It is easier to manage a single large space.
Perhaps replace all of the drives with a single 2tb 970 evo+