[SOLVED] What would you upgrade?

ndirishkmk

Reputable
Mar 25, 2018
I purchased a refurbished desktop a few years back for just general surfing and haven't used it much because a) it is loud and b) it seems slow doing normal tasks. I don't intend to do much gaming or anything that intensive on it, I'd just like something a little more responsive/quiet with the ability to perform periodic light gaming and perhaps photo editing. In general, it will be just for email/web, media management, and potentially a small Plex server.

Specs now:
3.40 Ghz AMD A4-5300B Processor
16GM RAM
Windows 10
2TB hard drive
DVD-RW

Just a note that I've never done much work on PC builds, so I probably don't want anything super complex (though I'm pretty techy so a good YouTube video should work for me!). What would you upgrade on this PC to make it more useable? Thanks!

Solution
Honestly, if that is your use case I would suggest a more judicious selection of (once again) a refurbished office machine. There are workable PC from $100 to skies the limit. I would personally start looking around at something like a OptiPlex 7010/9010 (and up through xx20, xx30 and so forth for generational increases) with an i7 or i5.

It would be hard to suggest specific upgrades to that machine without knowing what model/make, or more details.

Right away I would suggest SSD upgrade for OS with the old machine or a new(er) one.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Honestly, if that is your use case I would suggest a more judicious selection of (once again) a refurbished office machine. There are workable PC from $100 to skies the limit. I would personally start looking around at something like a OptiPlex 7010/9010 (and up through xx20, xx30 and so forth for generational increases) with an i7 or i5.

It would be hard to suggest specific upgrades to that machine without knowing what model/make, or more details.

Right away I would suggest SSD upgrade for OS with the old machine or a new(er) one.

Solution