[SOLVED] What Xeon for gaming?

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Hey all,

Long time no post! I've been looking at alternatives to gaming CPU's that will allow me to explore things like 3d design and game development (and still have a decent gaming experience). So naturally I though if going to xeon.... Mainly for the price!
Anyways, what would you all recommend? I though of the e5 2690 v3 12c/24t @2.6ghz.

Thanks in advance!!
-Z

Solution
Not much advantage in an old Xeon. High core count doesn't automatically equal good for Design and Development. Motherboard costs will be very high.

If you are after straight productivity on a budget, I would argue for the Ryzen 3800X and a decent B450 motherboard. Still gets you 12 cores.

10700K, but I would argue for the i7-11700F, not overclockable, but the IPC gain is significant. If the 10900F were still priced decently, that would also be an option.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey all,

Long time no post! I've been looking at alternatives to gaming CPU's that will allow me to explore things like 3d design and game development (and still have a decent gaming experience). So naturally I though if going to xeon.... Mainly for the price!
Anyways, what would you all recommend? I though of the e5 2690 v3 12c/24t @2.6ghz.

Thanks in advance!!
-Z
That processor is 7 years old so unless you can get it and a motherboard for cheap it gets beat by a 10700K in most work loads and nothing even close to the gaming performance.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not much advantage in an old Xeon. High core count doesn't automatically equal good for Design and Development. Motherboard costs will be very high.

If you are after straight productivity on a budget, I would argue for the Ryzen 3800X and a decent B450 motherboard. Still gets you 12 cores.

10700K, but I would argue for the i7-11700F, not overclockable, but the IPC gain is significant. If the 10900F were still priced decently, that would also be an option.

Solution
I can't see much advantage to having a Xeon personally, any recent Core i7 would kick its butt, unless you want ECC or something. We'd need to know your budget, but something like an i5 12600K would be much much better if you can stretch to one. If that's a little too much a Ryzen 3700X is quite a good balance for productivity and gaming and would save you a fair chunk on the board.

If your budget is quite strict and you want to buy now, the 11400F is a worthy consideration. You can get the board and the CPU for a similar price to a 5600X or 12600K. That's a little bit lower on multihread performance than the Xeon you had but significantly stronger on single thread.