Akresif

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Hello, my computer specsa are
MOBO:Asus P5Q-VM DO
PSU: Coolermaster Extreme 500W
CPU: intel core 2 quad 2.40ghz
HDD: 500GB

can any one tell me what graphic card does i have to buy to play the latest games on mid or highest resultion . im mostly playing on 1280x960 resul thank you for help :)

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
wat? you will not need a high end card to play at 1280 x 960.

For that particular system I would go with something like an amd 6850/6870.
And get a new monitor if it only supports 1280 res

To play modern games and because of your resolution you will need to O.C. that CPU so that you won't bottleneck any card that you use.

As dhicks19 said I would also suggest going with either a 6850/6870 or a GTX560.

What is your budget?

You have a relatively low resolution, and your stated requirement is that "mid" is acceptable...considering that your PSU becomes extremely inefficient at over 80% load, you would do quite well with a HD6770 or GTX550ti, either of which should be able to handle high settings at that resolution.
If you are interesting in upgrading your monitor to a higher resolution, and also have the budget to replace your PSU with a quality model, please post your total budget to get the most useful suggestions.

Akresif

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
i dont want to upgrae my psu i thionk its good one i just want to upgrade my GPU my budget is about 70 pounds for gpu yes and i will OC my CPu to 3.00 Ghz but i dont know how and i dont know i f i could with my mobo

MIR=Mail in Rebate.

That brings me to another point.Since your mobo is a little old,which likely means it's a 1.0 slot,I would avoid 2.1 cards.Not because of a bottleneck but because of compatiblity issues.Technically they are backwards compatible but you have to have a BIOS update in order to use a 2.1 card.Trust me just stick with a 2.0 card to avoid any headaches.

Akresif

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
So it means i can use 6770 or GTS 450 without bottlenecking? or if the Card will have PCI E 2.1 will it decrease performance?

At stock speeds of 2.5ghz you will bottleneck them but it should be minimal.
O.C.ing will only increase the performance and lessen the bottleneck.It should be pretty easy to get to 3ghz or 3.2ghz.Just make sure you read that guide and it will walk you through it step by step.