[SOLVED] What Z390 chipset motherboards accept an ASUS Thunderbolt 3 add-in card?

May 17, 2018
I went to ASUS website and asked if I could add two EVGA GTX 1070 FTW Ultra Silent graphics cards and an ASUS Thunderbolt 3 card to a Z390-Pro gaming MB and they said I would need to buy a ROG Maximus Extreme MB. That is way out of my price range at ~$600. Any suggestions?

Solution
I own a Z390-A and just returned the EX3 card to MicroCenter. It WILL NOT show up in Device Manager or support the devices I plugged into it.

I followed the manufacturer's directions to install the included software prior to mounting the card. The card was properly seated and header connected to M/B.

The docs for the card on Asus' website do not indicate compatibility with this m/b. However, the web page for the m/b does indicate this card as compatible.

The rest of my rig includes a new i9-9900K, 64GB RAM, EVGA RTX-2070 (I'm a video editor, not a gamer). I use Win10/64Bit at the latest version.

My belief is that this is the correct card but that Asus simply doesn't have a driver for it that works with the board. I spent THREE...
May 17, 2018
Thanks for the quick reply. Will the Prime Z390-A support an ASUS Thunderbolt 3 add-in card? I did not see it listed in the accessories on the page you gave me.

Aug 17, 2019
I own a Z390-A and just returned the EX3 card to MicroCenter. It WILL NOT show up in Device Manager or support the devices I plugged into it.

I followed the manufacturer's directions to install the included software prior to mounting the card. The card was properly seated and header connected to M/B.

The docs for the card on Asus' website do not indicate compatibility with this m/b. However, the web page for the m/b does indicate this card as compatible.

The rest of my rig includes a new i9-9900K, 64GB RAM, EVGA RTX-2070 (I'm a video editor, not a gamer). I use Win10/64Bit at the latest version.

My belief is that this is the correct card but that Asus simply doesn't have a driver for it that works with the board. I spent THREE HOURS on the phone with Asus support with no positive results except the advice to fill out a "feedback report" and send it to the CEO. I wonder if "CEO" is Taiwanese code for "garbage pail" since I have heard nothing.

The Level 2 Asus rep was unable to tell me where in Device Manager the card should show up since amazingly they don't have access to any computers using the company's hardware.

If anyone has any ideas for me about how to get this capability into my system I'm all ears. Thanks.

Solution