News Whatever Happened to AMD's Radeon RX 6700 Non-XT?

Definitely interesting where partially faulty RX 6700 chips are disappearing. I believe chip binning is still a thing. Maybe they are sold to come specific mining hardware. Or somewhere else. Don't believe that AMD are throwing out in general functional chips who can't exactly match with RX 6700XT clock speed or have some faulty cores.

donner

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
6700M are 36CU cut down Navi 22. Although, I can't find laptops with 6700M after a quick google. But, maybe some manufacturer(s) committed to enough orders to hoover up the defective die and we will see them soon.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Isn't TSMC's N7 node supposed to have really good yields? Maybe there are only a limited number of faulty Navi 22 dies to go around.

The 6700M is all they need and it also gets away with using a partially disabled memory controller at 160 bits instead of 192. I'm not sure desktop users would be happy with "just" 10GB and the lower bandwidth that that entails.

Unlike normal times, it makes absolutely no sense for AMD to use fully intact 40CU dies in lower-tier products - they'll sell all the 6700XTs and 6800Ms they can make.

Reactions: prtskg

Giroro

Splendid
It makes sense for AMD to be trying to get out a GPU with a smaller die.
For RDNA2 they pulled a 180 over Vega to prioritize a big cache with slower memory over expensive HBM. Unfortunately for AMD, they did not anticipate that TSMC would become a major bottleneck for their production. Cache consumes a lot of die space. Their 6700XT die still has a large cache, so the chip isn't nearly as small as they need it to be. So, their current lineup is not well suited to today's manufacturing limitations. But lower powered GPUs need far less memory bandwidth, meaning an exponentially smaller cache. I would imagine that 6700XT production is pretty limited right now, with priority going to the higher margin 6900XT/6800, and to the smaller chips that they will launch soon. There may not be enough faulty chips available to support launching a 6700 for awhile. But, AMD is definitely working to solve the problem. The chiplet-on-chiplet cache that they recently demonstrated is going to be very important for their future GPUs, assuming they are similar to RDNA2.

To Nvidia's credit, Samsung's 8nm is not nearly as efficient as TSMC's 7nm, but Samsung had capacity to spare. It looked bad at launch... But in retrospect, I think that decision is working out very well for Nvidia, right now. There's still production bottlenecks, but that's one less for them to deal with.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Maybe they felt the performance gap was too narrow to be able to shoehorn another part in between the 6600XT and 6700XT, and the 6700 non-XT would end up cannibalizing sales from the other two parts to the point where none of the three was profitable enough.

Reactions: Krotow and prtskg