What's a better memory combo

kenny724

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
hey everybody. I was running 4 sticks of 2 gb of ocz ram for a total of 8 gigs on my sister. I had an old 4000+ processor. The RAM was running dual channel at 800 mhz. I upgraded my processor to a Phenom II 720. Unfornatualy, the memory started to run in single channel or unganged mode. I bumped the speed up to 1066 mhz.

Ok, well I guess I can remove two of the sticks and run 4 gigs in dual channel. My question basically is with 8 gigs, is there a noticeable difference between dual channel and single channel mode? The dual channel is only supported at 800 mhz I do believe but with only 4 gigs....however, I can run the single channel 8 gigs at 1066. Thanks for any comments.

4745454b

Titan
The answer to this question is what do you do? If you need more then 4GBs, then run 8GBs in single. If however you don't exceed 4GBs total, then you don't need to worry about it. Also keep in mind the amount of ram 32bit programs can access. If your just gaming, 4GBs in dual channel is probably best.

stevensl2

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Unganged mode runs better with AMD systems. So leave it there, However Dual channel is not the same as Ganged mode.

Ganged is better for Games since it reads all the memory as a whole I suppose, But unganged is better for other tasks, Multitasking etc. I may have this Mixed up or whatnot so please correct me if I'm wrong.

kenny724

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
LOL...haha...ran 8 gigs on my sister. I have no idea why I typed that, guess she was bugging me. Anyway, meant computer. Thanks for the comments. Guess I'll keep checking the system resources to see how much RAM I use. Thanks. If dual channel actually 2x faster than running in single channel?